Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Can I move the factory-installed HD to the optical drive bay?

iMac Intel 20" 2210

I want to upgrade from the stock configuration to 1 SSD and 1 HD.

The current drives are stock - the HD is an Intel ICH8-M AHCI; the optical is a Matshita UJ-875 (ATAPI interface). To get the best speed from the new SSD, I am thinking of replacing the HD with the SSD, and then (if possible) moving the HD to the current optical drive bay. Is this possible? Will there be a performance problem with the HD due to the optical drive's interface? Should I be thinking of a different approach?

Thanks,

Wes

Most Helpful Answer

Here;s an optical bay hard drive adapter: 12.7 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

I've had fewer problems just putting the replacement hard drive in the bay and leaving the original drive in place.

Here's how to do it: iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 Optical Drive Replacement

Thanks for the help!

Reopening an old thread here.

I was just gifted a 2008 24" 2.8 iMac with 6gb RAM. It works great for my needs (internet, Word processing, light photo editing), but I have a 120GB SSD from an old PC that I would like to swap into the main drive slot, then add a 1TB drive for storage in the Optical Drive slot.

In hte product description, it reds you can swap up to a 1TB drive. Is this true? It will not accept a 2TB 2.5" drive? Is this a limitation of the PATA connection?

wb5876 will be eternally grateful.