Released August, 2010. Identified by part number: 884354009250.

Why are my files missing from the H1 Zoom interface but present on SD?

So I am using the H1 Zoom to record interviews that I am carrying out as part of a research project. I've conducted 3 interviews so far and will be conducting many more in the coming weeks and months. As I record each new interview, I just hit record and the file becomes file 2 thentthe next becomes file 3 and so on.

Last night when up loading interview number three to my laptop I decided to changed the file names to something more identifiable.

Today, when I went to play back the last night's interview on the H1 Zoom, it was no longer there. In fact, none of the files were.

The strange thing is that when I plug the H1 Zoom into my laptop via USB and go to view files, they are still there with the new names I gave them!

So I'm at a loss to understand what exactly has happened and while I haven't lost anything, I'd still like to know what I did or what happened.

Also, while here. I'm recording on MP3 so far at 128. I'm not overly concerned about sound quality, just need it to be clearly audible for the purpose of transcribing. Is this an okay setting?

Another thing that mystifies me is that the time remaining never seems to change and stays at 99:99:59 at all bit rates with the exception of 48 where it is less?

Thanks in advance for help forthcoming. As I'm sure is evident, I am very much an amateur in the area of sound recording.

Joe.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Hi Joe,

My guess is that the H1 only recognizes files with a specific filename format. When you renamed the files, the Handy no longer recognizes the files as ones that it recorded and thus ignores them.

I think 128Kbps MP3 is sufficient for transcription purposes. It is always good to listen and check.

Depending on what memory card you put into the H1, it can record a very long time. For example, if you have a 8GB card, the specifications say you can record ~139 hours using the 128Kbps MP3 setting. The time meter can't show that much, so it pegs at 99:99:59.

When you cycle to "48", you may actually be entering the uncompressed "WAV" format. This format uses significantly more memory so the H1 will show reduced recording capacity.

Hope that helps!

Hi Arthur,

Yes that's really very helpful and explains a lot!

It makes sense that changing the file name would affect the recorder's ability to recognize the file.

I have re-listened to the files that I have recorded at 128 so far and they appear to be fine. I may up it to improve the sound quality slightly.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

Joe.

Joe Whelan will be eternally grateful.