Repair guides and support for USB flash drives, also known as jump drives or thumb drives.

Where Do I Solder on my SanDisk Cruzer Dial so I can get my stuff?

Recently, I was using my 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Dial in my laptop. I put the laptop in my bag and later that day, I realized that I cracked the PCB near the USB connection pins. I talked to SanDisk, but they said I need to get a new one.... NO!

So which points on the PCB do I solder to so that I can solder an alternative USB to it? A guide with pictures would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Most Helpful Answer

USB are relatively simple devices when it comes the the USB connector. A close inspection of the pcb should yield all the clues you need to solder either a replacement USB port or extend jumper wires to the existing one.

If the pcb broke in an area with a higher density of traces, the repair may be more complicated. It would certainly help if you could post some pictures of the usb drive so that I can see for myself.

Erkin has several videos of USB Drive repairs. You can take a look at those to see if that helps you.

I don't know which wires to solder to which points...

The you should consider sending the flash drive an experienced micro-solderer. They should be able to fix this so you can get your data out.

OK, could you use one of the pictures I have provided and mark which point is what? Like I remember with my 3ds, a tutorial saying where CLK and GRND and all of those were.

Oops, I didn't upload the images. There you are.

Tyler Meece will be eternally grateful.