{A1706 / EMC 3071}—Released in June 2017, this 13" Macbook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to 3.5 GHz Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 4.0 GHz.

Cursor jumping randomly when typing

I have a 2017 touch bar pro, and when I type, randomly, the cursor will end up in some other place while I'm typing. I'm guessing it has something to do with the massive trackpad. Sometimes the cursor just moves and I'll be typing in some other sentence, sometimes it highlights entire areas of text, and I'll type over those. I haven't seen anything online about this issue, but everyone I know who has this model complains about the same problem. I've already taken it in, and Apple replaced the entire key and trackpad set up, saying it was possibly dust under the keyboard, but that's not the fix. It started right out of the box. Anyone know of this problem and a potential fix? I've changed some of the haptic feedback settings, but... still nothing.

I have this issue too. It's driving me crazy and wasting hours of correction time,. It seems to be a design fault,

A friend thinks that the area next to the trackpad (to the left and right) is too sensitive; just resting your hand there, or even a gust of air can cause your cursor to disappear. You have to search for it and you find it's made a bunch of typos half way up your document, or deleted a whole chunk of text. Apple should recall these laptops and replace them for us. It's been like this right out of the box.

could be several things, reset the PRAM....also check the cycles on the battery under system information/power if it's REALLY high like near 1000 it could be a bloated battery which pushes up on the trackpad and keyboard and causes this...also check the adjustment screw for the trackpad. Some can be adjusted VERY little but just enough (search here for this) But yes, it can be one of several things.....try these first....they're the easiest. If none of the above, you could open it and check the connection and make sure there's no corrosion or any moisture related anything on the plug in where the trackpad has it's connectors but if it's new and no liquid damage has ever occurred then this is prob not a cause but possible if it's even got wet too..... THESE options are more for older macs as yours is basically brand new. I'd go back to Apple with it. demand they replace or fix it again, especially if it's under applecare warranty. Tell them to type on it until it happens to them....it sounds like a bad trackpad to me, make sure they address the cables to and from the trackpad/keyboard too and not just the trackpad and keyboard themselves. I know there's a dust issue with some keyboard people have had but this is more for typing and not a jumpy trackpad..

i had the same problem with the MAC from Sept. 2017--right out of the box. I stopped using it and went back to my 2012 MBP. . First the geniuses said it was jumping around b/c I was touching the huge track pad, then they said it was the jewelry, I took everything off. They then tried to tell me it was a problem with my apps or files were corrupted and so we reloaded everything from the original sources. Always MY fault. TOOK Forever wasted sooo much time. Also, couldn't read my WD drives for MAC; USB adapter not recognized; MAC replaced the trackpad, all connections, everything. nothing worked. Finally sent me a new MBP in May 2018, and the jumping around is still happening. and getting worse. In outlook, word, and websites, using chrome, safari, etc. I have no idea where the problem is, but we need to make more noise about this. I had a 2012 mac with a new 2 TB Solid State drive--and had no trouble. I unfortunately got liquid on the keyboard last December and it died, so this is my only Mac.

I'm just an ordinary user of MBPs. I got my new one yesterday and I have the same problems, exactly the same problems as described above. And – I didn't want to believe it – the same problems that made me waste a lot of time by correcting texts in word, excel, etc. with my old MBP and made me finally giving up and buy a new one. This time, too, the cursor ends up in other places while typing. The cursor just marks parts of a sentence above and going on writing this par disappears of course. The reason cannot be the massive trackpad, my old one's was smaller. I guess this is a systemic default and I know I am not the only one with this problem, there's just nobody who makes this a relevant issue for apple. I do not know what to do now with my new MBP, I'm still discussing with my IT-provider.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

I'm experiencing the same issue with my MacBook Pro which is also straight out of the box. It's very frustrating when I'm writing essays at 3am in the morning and having to waste so much time moving the cursor back to where it is suppose to be, undoing and dragging what I've just written to where it is suppose to be! This is happening at least every 2 minutes over 3 days of full time writing. I hope Apple have a patch to fix this annoying problem.

Let me know. when you got a good answer from Apple, it's really frustrating and it's my second MBP with the same problem!

I had the same issue with my new MacBook . Drove me bonkers for months. Apple help solved it for me. Uncheck 'tap to click' in Preferences>Trackpad. PROBLEM SOLVED

Same issue, it is not right and Apple needs to figue out a way to fix it!!

Unchecking "Tap to Click" did NOT solve the problem for me. Anyone have other suggestions. Apple??????

I have this issue too and thought maybe it was the way I was typing although it never happened on my previous macbook. I am eagerly awaiting an answer but I am going to take it in the the awesome place where I bought my macbook (used and refurbished). If they have a fix, I will post it here. Mine is a 13in 2011 running Sierra.

Yes, I have this same problem, and Apple has done nothing, and will continue to do nothing. They don't want to admit they made a critical error on their hardware.

Guess you're right!

This honestly worked from above for me, and I was the original poster.

I just tried your tip and for the first time in nearly two years I was able to type without the curser flipping here and there. I am amazed and delighted. Hope this is really the key to getting rid of this most exasperating problem. A hundred thank yous!!!!

This is also happening to me, took it in to apple and they blamed me. It’s a joke. Even as I typed this my macbook deleted text. It’s almost unusable and i get carpel tunnel trying to hold my palms over the ridiculous track pad. worst $3500 i’ve spent.

does it move when youre not touching it?

i know on my laptop (not apple) my ouse moves around when i type but only cuz my hand grazes the pad it self.

on my laptop theres a Key combo that i can press to turn off the mousepad until im read to use it again. for mine its Fn f8 i think. maybe looking t osee if theres an option to do that?

good luck

As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn off the trackpad. I did get a reply from a level 10 expert in the Apple forums, but... was of no help.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33...

I'm going to use a mouse and then disable the trackpad.. lp/Hopefully that will he

See if jump that last sentence. Only 1 week old.

I have same problem and it drives me mad! I keep thinking I must be brushing my hand off trackpad

Me too! Driving me CRAZY!

same problem!

Same here. Brand new machine. Most annoying. Apple products shouldn't be this defective.

I have had macbook pros for some time. I retired my 2012 MacBook Pro when the trackpad quit after having NO PROBLEMS with it for years— and those years included pounds of crumbs and cups of coffee etc. I replaced it with the 2018 high end MacBook Pro version. The cursor problem happened immediately out of the box and ALWAYS happens. I may be typing an email and the cursor will jump back to messages or safari, etc. It seems the touchpad is too sensitive so anything brushing it will set it off. Couldn’t this be a relatively simple software fix? My husband told me it was an issue for people even before I bought it and experienced it, so Apple knows. Disappointing, as I have loved the MacBooks before this…

It’s exactly the same with my new Macbook Pro. I loved the previous Macbook and it was just perfectly working. I had to give it up due to a graphics error. Now, I am extremely unhappy with the jumping cursor. I have informed Apple via phone twice about this error. They say, I should bring it to an Apple Store. I don’t think, however, that they can fix the problem. Plus, I cannot leave my Macbook somewhere for days or weeks, I am self employed.

My understanding of it is, that the trackpad is just too big and you move the cursor with your handballs, somehow. It especially happens, when I need the numbers or the upper keys, so I guess, my handballs leave the trackpad then, and this moves the cursor. If they could just adjust the software in a way that you have a chance to define the width of the trackpad sensitivity individually, I think this could fix the problem.

The other issue is, that keys (especially s and d) keep sticking and I have to use pressure air quite often. This is not acceptable for a device of this price.

I got same issue. Wiped out complete Mac and did a clean install of Mojave OS. Worked well for a day now back to same issue. All of sudden it selects complete text and start overwriting or sometimes cursor move to random part of the paragraph. This is driving me mad.

One thing I have noticed. If I open terminal application and type in anything it works perfect.

Keep it simple. Try turning off almost all of the gestures etc on the track pad options; most of them are not that useful and/or difficult to remember.

My trackpad was acting that way. I turned off my computer and cleaned my trackpad with a wet wipe very carefully then used a paper towel to wipe away the moisture and lo and behold it worked. Over time the grime and dust from our fingers accumulate on the trackpad that’s my humble conclusion!

Thanks, but it’s a brand new machine. Trackpad isn’t dirty. There’s more to it than that.

same problem.

Brand new macbookpro (Mojave 10.14.3 ; 15-inch 2018 ; 2.9 GHz, i9, 32 Go, etc… )

Jumping cursor.

No solution found yet.

I had this problem, however it was happening to me when using Safari typing into a text box. Turned out to be the Grammarly premium plugin, I disabled and re-enabled the spell checking and it stopped jumping back.

15” MBP 2018 with Touch Bar.

What helped: I turned off the trackpad, so the trackpad does not work when there’s a mouse connected with the MBP; it only works without a mouse connected – of course with the jumping cursor «joke». Without the trackpad the error does not appear anymore. But of course you have get used to work without trackpad. Anyway, it’s better than a jumping cursor (or a new MBP may be with the same problem …)

Max will be eternally grateful.