Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Why does MBP run slower with cheap battery?

What is it that causes my MacBook Pro (A1286) Early 2011 to run slower with some (read cheaper) batteries?

• Is there hardware inside the battery case that causes it?
  • Is there a way to fix the reduction in processing speed?

What if I replaced just the battery cells and kept all other parts of the original battery pack?

Here is the coconutbattery screenshot.

I doubt your system is running slower due to a cheap battery. I could see the wrong battery being an issue or one that was bad (this is were a few cells are not working).

So lets dig a bit deeper into your problem to see if we can isolate the cause. First I would download this gem of an app: CoconutBattery paste a screenshot of the main window into your question here so we can see what it's telling us. Here's how: Adding images to an existing question

In the mean time did you calibrate your battery? This is a very important step when replacing a battery. Here's the steps: NewerTech - How to Calibrate a Mac Laptop's Power System

A common issue with this series is the HD cable can get worn and this can make the system appear to be running slower! Here's the IFIXIT guide to replace it: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Hard Drive/IR Sensor Cable Replacement and you want to use the newer version of the cable: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable. The area which wears the cable is on the rough surface of the uppercase. I place some electrical tape on the case where the cable rests.

Lastly, Hard Drives do need a bit of TLC! Over time the files get fragmented! Which slows their access as well as the systems ability to use virtual RAM space within the drive. I do recommend you yearly defragment your HDD. SSD are very different devices and don't need this. In any case I would first make a good backup of your drive with TimeMachine to an external drive before doing this.

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable Image

Product

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable

$34.99

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Hard Drive/IR Sensor Cable Image

Guide

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Hard Drive/IR Sensor Cable Replacement

Difficulty:

Moderate

iFixit Image

Guide

Adding images to an existing question

Difficulty:

Easy

2 - 5 minutes

Is there a way to test the cable without replacing it?

Sorry not really. I replace them every time I replace a drive or take it out.

Ray will be eternally grateful.