Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Early/Late 2011 display assembly for a 2012 MBP?

I have a mid-2012 macbook pro which needs a display assembly replacement, but finding one for that particular model (HiRes, Antiglare) is proving difficult. On the other hand, 2011 parts are everywhere.

I read around a bit and found that some are saying that they are compatible, except for a slightly different LVDS cable, which can be modded? My question is if this is something I could do myself, and how exactly I would do it. Are there any other incompatibilites? Will I have to do a PRAM or SMC reset?

Yes, you can use the older screen on your newer logic board.

For some reason the LVDS cable connectors are slightly smaller on the newer systems logic board. So fitting the cable onto the logic board is the problem of the older 2011 display.

You could carefully disconnect the newer systems cable from the display swapping the cables over from the displays. This being a bit harder but less risky of damage.

Or, you need to take a slight amount of surface from the edge of the tang with a few wipes using a fine nail-file on each side which can solve the problem as well. It is not much than needs to be taken off and you need to do it evenly on each side so you don't mess up the alignment.

Thanks! Yeah I'll try it. Hopefully it's not too difficult.

John Luelf will be eternally grateful.