Released September 22, 2017. Model A1863, A1905. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / gold, silver, and space gray.

Hard Reset Not Working

I know on the iPhone 8, you must hit the volume up button, volume down button, then hold the side button until the hard reset begins. I cannot get this to work -it only gives me the option to shut the phone down normally. What should I do? The phone is new and has no other issues.

I had the same issue as Jack. I held the right hand button for ages and it only gave me one option, to shut down. I also tried to reset the phone using Find My Phone which was another option but that only works when the phone logs into the internet. If the phone is disabled, this doesn't seem like a good option.

When the phone is disabled the only option may be to reboot it into recovery mode with the use of 3UTools.

@jack35

@amalkaru

@ben

So you press volume up and volume down as you have done. Then press and hold the power button.

The power off slide bar will appear,you simply HOLD the power button down until the Apple logo pops up and then release it.

So you hold it down approx ten seconds without sliding the shutdown bar. The screen will go blank but it then goes to white screen with Apple logo and you release and then it does it’s reset!

Below shows what I have commented.

Best of luck . Any issues just mail me.

Ryder

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/09/forced-...

I’m attempting to clear a bunch of emails that are dated 12/31/2069 that are blank and won’t let me move or delete them. The suggestion was to do a hard reset. However, when I try to follow Ryder’s suggestion, my phone dials emergency services! How am I to do a hard reset?

Try making sure you hit the volume buttons in quick-enough succession. The phone seems to be very touchy about speed, and you must be very fast. And don't hold down the volume buttons at the same time as holding the power button - I think that's the combination for calling emergency responders.

It does take time for it to restart itself. If you hit the Vol Up, Vol Down, and Side Key fast enough you will see the Shut Down *do not* lift your finger off the side key and after 15-20 secs it should shut down.

@juax that did the trick! Thank you! Can we vote to make this the answer? It was very helpful. Thank you!

You're very welcome. I believe you have to select his answer as the selected answer for your topic.

Thank you!!!!!!!

For some reason my phone isn’t rebooting at all. It will shut down and the apple logo with show up, but then the phone just turns on and asks me for my password. What am I doing wrong .?

How to force restart the iPhone 8

keep holding until you see the apple logo.

I tried this again and it did not work. It either gave me the regular shut down switch or did nothing.

you sure you've held it down long enough?

actually instead of pressing volume up and down at the same time, seems you press the volume up and then the volume down button https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/force-r...

I’ve tried both ways and neither seems to work.

Also have the exact same issue. @jack35 did you find a solution?

Well, I’m having a similar problem. I’ve tried all the suggestions and still nothing works. My iPhone 8, Plus, will not hard restart, soft restart, etc. Nothing works. I’m waiting for it to shut down when the battery runs out. Hopefully that will do it when I recharge.

Jack will be eternally grateful.