Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Fridge leakage in freezer and underneath

I have a Whirlpool gold 3 door refridgerator that leaks water into the freezer and the floor. I turned off the water supply for the ice maker.

Every other week I have to break about 2 inches of ice out of freezer to keep it from leaking onto the floor. How do I fix this problem. The refrigerator isn't very old but past the warrenty. Can't seem to find where it's coming from.

What can I do?

Cause 1

Clogged or Freezing Defrost Drain

If the defrost drain is frozen, the water will overflow the drain trough and drip down to the bottom of the compartment. This water can eventually leak onto the floor. Check the defrost drain to determine if it is clogged or frozen. If the defrost drain is frozen, thaw the ice. In addition, flush the drain with hot water to ensure that it is clear of debris.

Jeanne will be eternally grateful.