Apple's 2016 revision to their laptop lineup targeted at professional users. Features a 15-inch, 2880-by-1800 Retina display, quad-core Intel Core i7, 256 GB / 512 GB /1 TB / 2TB storage options, 16 GB RAM, and a keyboard equipped with a Touch Bar. Released November 2016. Features Model A1707.

Can TouchID buttons be replaced without replacing the entire board?

Palmrests for these units are being sold without the TouchID / power button on the far right end of the touchbar.

The TouchID button has a small integrated flex/ribbon cable (labeled "00920-A") that then plugs into a secondary flex/ribbon that extends the original and changes its plug type so it can connect to the logic board under the headphone jack ribbon. That extender cable is labeled with "821-00645-A // MFC0517" and I've been able to find them for sale, but I can't find replacement TouchID sensor anywhere.

Powerbookmedic's listing for the palmrest claimed that the TouchID sensor is not included with the palmrest as they are "married to the logic board". Does that mean that if the TouchID sensor/button is damaged or if its cable is ripped, the ENTIRE LOGIC BOARD needs to be replaced?

Please, somebody, tell me that this isn't true.

PowerBookMedic is correct! An independent servicer or you can't fix this.

If the sensor is broken you'll need to bring your system into an Apple Store or ship to Apple for them to repair it. Apple is the only one that can fix this.

Think of it this way this is a deterrent for someone to steal your laptop as well as offer a level of privacy. Just like your iPhone or iPad the TouchID or FaceID protects you.

Thanks so much, Dan! I really appreciate the confirmation and insight!

So, to dig just a little deeper: Does it appear that the sensor board actually has MEMORY that stores your prints?

If so this strategy would make sense - you wouldn't want someone getting your computer and swapping out the fingerprint sensor with one that authenticates with their print rather than yours. That'd certainly be a far-fetched situation in my opinion, as having literally just completed my first palmrest swap on one of these, I can confirm that it was quite the harrowing experience. I can't really imagine that theft-by-technician is THAT common... but if the sensor stores the biometrics then I get that there's a plausible defense to the design decision Apple made here.

If it's just a sensor , though, the thought that I'd have to buy a $1,000+ logic board because a 3mm wide flex cable attached to the frame with adhesive was ripped during removal seems like an incredibly disappointing cash grab by Apple.

Any idea?

You'll want to review the IFIXIT teardown: MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar Teardown

Sorry guy time to put the system back together and bring it into Apple. I'm sure it's a lot cheaper that that!

Hah! Luckily I was just discussing hypotheticals.

I was able to remove both the sensor and the extension flex ribbon without any damage occuring, but it's super annoying that the stakes are so high with a piece that's so incredibly fragile and firmly adhered into such tight quarters within the palmrest's frame.

I asked for help here because I could tell that the removal would be a pain and the teardown didn't have any particularly helpful images when it came to the TouchID button in particular. I've since added some insight into the comments here: MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar Teardown

ed will be eternally grateful.