Left fan spins full speed at startup since logicboard repair

A) SUMMARY:

Since having my logicboard repaired following a no-boot-at-all problem, my left fan spins like crazy from startup. Right fan appears normal.

B) SYMPTOMS:

1) Left fan starts at startup (i.e. as soon as power button is pressed).

2) iStats Menu indicates:

a) left fan 0 rpm (but left fan is spinning at top speed, opened MBP to check)

b) right fan 1998 rpm (normal)

c) Overall temperature 30 deg C (GPU heatskink 35 deg C, Heatskink A 33 deg C, Heatskink B 30 deg C, all other readings about 30 deg C)

3) Apple Hardware Test (done twice) reads:

Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error.

4MOT/1/40000002: Left side-0

Pass Number: 1

Total Time Testing: 2mins 55 secs

C) ATTEMPTS TO FIX:

PRAM, NVRAM and SMC reset - No change.

D) QUESTION:

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix it? Hardware or software? Are there any other tests to do to determine the cause?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Take it back to whomever did the repair and request a fix or a refund.

A web search for your error reveals no solution. If you had this repaired at an Apple Store it should at least be covered for a couple of months. If so I would contact Apple and they will FEDEX you a shipping box. Turn around is usually four days anywhere in the world. In Belgium it's: Belgium

Flemish: (32) 070 700 772

French: (32) 070 700 773

www.apple.com/benl/support/

www.apple.com/befr/support/

Hi Mayer,

Thanks for the input. Do you mean to say that my fan problem is hardware related? Is your answer based on experience or a simple guess?

Just for you info, I live in Belgium and the the logic board was fixed in the USA. Sending it back neither a cheap nor the easiest solution, therefore, iFixit being a DIY website, I'm hoping to find a DIY fix if possible.

Thanks,

Ken

To check to see if it's not hardware related, just boot up from a system installation disk. If the fan problem goes away it's software, if it stays, it's hardware.

Just received a message from the repair shop. They claim the fan, which has an inbuilt regulator, is failing.

I opened the MBP, disconnected both fans, connected the right to the left and it appeared much more silent. I have therefore ordered a new fan.

I will post the result as soon as the new fan's installed.

Thanks none the less for your feedback.

Regards,

Ken

PS: Gave the installation DVD away so can't run your check. Besides, would the test tell me if it's a logicboard or fan hardware problem?

The original installation disk contains diagnostics that can be accessed by starting and holding down the "D" key. See if you can get it back as the system can't be installed on another model Mac.

This is an update on the left fan top speed spin problem I was facing. It has been solved!!!

For more detailed info, please read the whole problem solving right from the top.

In brief, my logicboard died (press start, dark screen but no chime... dead) so I had it repaired.

When I reinstalled the repaired logicboard, the left fan would go into full spin right from pressing the ON button and iStats would indicate that it was spinning at 0rpm. I really thought it was an improperly repaired logicboard issue.

Finally, I replaced the left fan and all is well!

Troubleshooting was only possible with the help of the repair shop and the fact that I couldn't understand why a fan (which is only a spinning motor) should have 4 cables rather than 2.

Et voila!

Hope this can help others.

Thanks,

Ken

Thank you very much Ken, i solved my problem just reading from your experience , the Fan was the issue.

thanks again

Ken will be eternally grateful.