A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

PS4 randomly loses Wifi connection and disconnects controller

Hi, as the title says:

PS4 randomly loses Wifi connection and disconnects controller and no way to reconnect them again or having my PS4 controller to detect the console again, UNLESS I do a HARD RESET to the console (keeping the power button touched with finger for several seconds - doing a turn off / turn on cycle manually)

Same I read here in this thread, but no solution found.

https://community.playstation.com/conten...

Some others suggest it is related to the antenna. But my console has never fallen, and if it was the antenna, I guess turn it off several wireless devices around, and approaching the Wireless controller to the console should allow the controller to detect the console. But it does not.

Other suggest it was a bad Firmware installed (bugs on it). I can't reverse the last update of the console. I don't even know if that is possible.

I'm having this annoyance constantly in the middle of an online game, and I need to restart the PS4 mannually every time in order to have WIFI and BT wireless connections restored. THERE IS NO WAY to connect them again, until I do this HARD RESET to the PS4 console.

When turned on, then everything connects again (wireless controller and WIFI). Then again, at a random time, disconnects from WIFI and Wireless controller (in the middle of a game, or movie, etc.). It just keeps doing it.

By the way, I have another spare controller. Same thing. Fully charged both of them. Same results.

Any other suggestion will be very appreciated.

Having same issue. Following. Hope we can find a solution, this is very irritating.

I have the same issue. I'm ready to smash my PS4 and use the Xbox 1 I have instead. When I called Sony about it they said I had to send my PS4 to them for $100, and the problem "might" be something they could fix. I could just go buy another PS4 for about $200 and actually have it work. I would really like to get this resolved. Ive only had my PS4 for about 2 years. It sholdn't be having this kind of problem.

MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Fix Kits Starting at $69.99
MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

Well, just to confirm my personal workaround to solve this issue, and to help others in same situation. Thanks again Scott for the suggestions in your answer. I also contacted Sony chat support, and since it couldn't be fixed by troubleshooting software and since my console is 2 years old (out of warranty) sending it to Sony for repair will cost a fee of $99 plus taxes (shipping not included both ways), I ended up tried one more simple thing in order to save some bucks.

To summarize:

• I did a fresh cleaned installation, deleting the firmware and downloading it again from SONY website, running the PS4 console in safe mode to perform this tasks, and of course, backing up all my info before. Results: Same issue.
  • I blew compressed air with the open console, in case some dust is causing static. Result: Same issue.
  • I moved my Ps4 to another room, to try to avoid interference, and again, fully charged both of my controllers. Result: Same issue, and neither of the controllers re-connect.

So the remaining thing was sending it back to Sony or simply buying a new console since looks it is hardware related (wireless module). I saw some videos in youtube explaining how to dump the firmware in the chip to fix corrupted firmware in the wireless program, but requires hardware tools, and electronic soldering. Again, not my field.

Solution (for my case).

Running a ETHERNET cable from the console directly to the router, and NO USING WIFI EVER in the PS4. I run my tests and VOILA. IT never disconnects my controllers, and the internet connection/ PSnetwork stays UP!

Looks like something is wrong with the WIFI module, or its firmware on it, which makes the entire Connectivity for the console to freeze (including bluetooth and USB connectors. No controllers detected when this happens, no BT, no wifi, UNTIL I manually restart the console via front button)

As long as I keep using this console with ETHERNET CABLE for the network connectivity, EVERYTHING RUNS PERFECT and SMOOTH. Better yet, I get BETTER speed ( since this PS4 model uses just WIFI 2.4 GhZ, and using a direct ethernet cable is better ).

Bottom line: I saved some bucks by keeping my console with this connection scenario, using ethernet cable directly to the router, I got better internet speed, and my online games keep running !. My controllers stays connected to the console for hours, even when REST MODE, I can wake up the console with no issues in connectivity / BT at all.

So, I'm just posting this self answer to be documented in this site, in order to suggest a simple idea for others in similar situation and with consoles out of warranty. Simple as just using the included ethernet port in the console worked for me.

YMMV.

My 2 cents.

Did you only connect your cable to the console, without doing anything else? For me it worked for a while, but then i shut it down, and when i press the ps button to start, the controller lights up but then before starting up it turns off. Then when it says press ps button to connect, i got the same issue, white flashing light...

Got any suggestions for what to do? :)

so all of those suggestions are pretty much the accumulation of the diagnostics.

before going forward, connection issues can be caused by distance and obstruction. make sure any paired devices are not blocked by things such as doors/walls of an entertainment unit, walls, or couches, or even the human body.

1) i always start with a factory reset, and firmware restore. download the PS4UPDAT file from the Playstation website, and reinstall it onto the device by following the steps supplied by sony's support page. The reason i start with this, is because it is the least invasive of the repairs, and fixes a various number of issues that are caused by data corruption.

2) Next, i would look at a cleanout. Dirt and dust are conductive, and can cause board shorts. this can cause issues with processing the components like antennas.

3) replacing internal components. the Pickups for Bluetooth and Wifi are wired through the device, and mounted into the front of the housing. they can pinch from just moving the device. they can also build up static electricity from dirt and dust in your device, which could essentially damage them if the discharge is powerful enough.

4) Logic Control for the Wireless device: The wireless card is soldered into the motherboard, and replacing this requires a skillset in Surface mount Soldering. this could be failing, which can result in faulty connection.

5) Integrated motherboard failure: The problems could persist into the circuits in the board. this would require a board replacement, and that becomes more expensive than replacing the device itself, as the board is also paired to the Disc drive, which would also need to be transferred.

Excellent reply. Thanks. I will try to do one by one the options suggested, and I will come back with an update soon. Hope this solve this annoying issue since I am getting frustrated in the middle of online battles/games. Otherwise, as you pointed out in option 5, it will be better a new console.

glad to have been of assistance. BE ADVISED, you will lose all your data on step1

I had this problem with my older PS4 I even bought a new controller. I have recently bought a PS4 pro and the same happens with this unit with the included controller and the older controllers. I think that there must be an issue with WiFi interference. I live in a condo with multiple WiFi signals and it would be nice if Sony could add an option to change WiFi channels on the controller. I will have to try the hard wire Ethernet cable and see if that changes anything for me.

Tell me when you have tested if it works or not. Because for me didn't :(

Iv got same problem when playing gta5 on ps4 the control seems to take over by disconnected and running it's self iv tried reset control but still same problem anyone help me solve.

Dan will be eternally grateful.