Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

BGA Rework Station for IC

Hi everyone,

I´ve been, looking for BGA Rework Station, because I saw that they are capable of replacing smartphone components(IC) very easily, but for what I´ve seen, only more large components/chips are replaceable by this equipment.

It is possible to replace smaller components like tristar IC or other using this kind of machines? Or is the work size of this machines limited to a chip size?

If yes, could anyone tell me what are the limits of working IC of machines like, WDS-700 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzI1VZ-...)?

Do you suggest another BGA rework station that are able to work to smaller ICs? Or it does not exists, any other capable of such a tiny IC?

Thanks in advance, for any help provided.

@henryadm that is a great question that needs to be directed toward the experts @refectio or @teetopp

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

The vast majority of the iPhone micro-solderers replace the IC's by hand with a hot air station, not with a machine. Micro-soldering on iPhone logic boards is as much an art as it is a science and most of the folks you see regularly publishing on Youtube (Jessa, Jason, Louis, etc...) do it by hand.

The big difference between repairing a motherboard (i.e. laptop or computer) and a logic board (iPhone, Smartphone and tablet) is the thinness and component density. iDevice logic board are very thin, have ~10 layers of traces and have high component density. No doubt the large-scale GPU's on motherboards represent their own set of challenges but using a reballing machine for replacing a PMIC is like using a jackhammer to repair cabinetry.

A machine like the one you linked looks cool, no doubt. But this is more for doing the CPU replacements and or repetitive work, like say having to go through dozens or hundreds of identical repairs. I think it's important to learn how to do this by hand first and wait to see where your business takes you.

I might add: Steady hands & great eyesight are important!

Henry Adams will be eternally grateful.