The iMac Pro, is Apple’s most powerful iMac to date. It comes with either a 3.2 GHz 8 core, 3.0 GHz 10 core, 2.5 GHz 14 core or 2.3 GHz 18 core Xeon W processor. EMC 3144 / A1862 (ID iMacPro1,1)

Can the RAM on these computers be upgraded?

The additional cost to get the 128gb of RAM on this system is astronomical. If I buy one with the default 32gb RAM, will I be able to crack this thing open down the road and install 3rd party RAM if I want to expand?

Most Helpful Answer

RAM may be upgraded, but it is not "user-accessible". You should firstly disassemble display to get access, and of course you lose your warranty

You do not loose warranty in America, unless Apple can prove that you broke something inside it when you opened it/upgraded it.

Probably some sort of factory seal.

We'll need to wait for the IFIXIT teardown to understand more fully what is needed to replace or upgrade the RAM. I'm sure you have other questions on the SSD and general serviceability of this system. This system does not have an access door like the other 27" models.

Per Apple's notes: "The RAM can be serviced by a qualified Apple technician".

Now consider when you plan to add the RAM. Most people won't need more than 32 GB. Which gets into the systems warranty and if you void it by doing it your self, I would hold off until the warranty has expired. If you are doing this sooner, have Apple or Apples certified service techs do it so you don't loose coverage. Given the price of this system I would caution you doing this your self as it could be a very expensive Oops!

It would appear so. on apples site they show a glimpse of the inside.

@captainsnowball - Its serviceable not user accessible RAM

Its not easy to get to either as you need to fully remove the logic board. Review this: iMac Intel 21.5" Retina 4K Display (2017) RAM Replacement This is about the same procedure you'll likely need to do.

User accessible? With apple? PFFFT no. impossible.

@captainsnowball - The 27" models until this one had an access panel 'user accessable'

chris095 will be eternally grateful.