2.26 or 2.4 GHz / White plastic unibody enclosure

Dead. No longer turns on.

My 2.26 white unibody won't turn on. I connect the magsafe and the light on the magsafe connector goes green, then turns to orange. If I press the power button, the magsafe turns green immediately, then after 20 seconds turns back to orange.

I have tried a replacement used logic board which was sold as working/tested, but the behaviour is exactly the same as before.

MacBook Unibody (Model No. A1342) 2.26 GHz Logic Board

I'm at a bit of a loss.

There's not much to work with here. Do you get any other symptoms, any other lights or sounds, would you give a history, what have you tried?

Completely dead. Just simply didn't turn on one day. Unibody has no other lights than one on the magsafe charger, which is green when connected, then turns to orange. When the power button is pressed, the magsafe turns to green immediately, then turns back to orange after 20 seconds. No other symptoms, gives no other signs of life, no fans noises, no startup chime.

I have tried a replacement logic board.

Did you spill something on the keyboard? My macbook (06 model) came from a family member who got the keyboard wet. There was a short in the power button. Once I replaced the top case, everything worked perfectly. I made sure that was the problem by jumping the power switch with a fork at the ribbon cable connection. Maybe not the best and safest test, but it helped me figure out it was the top case, not my board.

Turned out it was the top case...

Yes! Sucks you bought a new logic board and everything. Hopefully you got the top case on Amazon. I got mine for around $15. Congrats!

Hello.

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem. Rossinator, did you fix it?

Anyway, I did spill some water on the keyboard, so I think it might be the upper case. Before buying a replacement upper case I would like to be sure, though.

I read your answer, danielahampton, and I'd like to try the same method (the fork thing)..but could you please explain me how exactly you did it? Thank you!

My macbook's keyboard has been acting all wonky and I just noticed that the headset port isn't working properly either. I did spill a little water on it once and unfortunately it was turned on when it did. Currently I can use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse but I really wish I could use the MacBook by itself still. Thanks.

sham, as this question is four years old you might want to start a new one.

Most Helpful Answer

If it came into my shop I would start by reseating the RAM one chip at a time in each of the slots. Use a multimeter and test the AC magsafe adapter for output (actually I would switch the AC adapter to a known good one). Next test the DC IN port. Then remove the battery and hard drive and test them independently, trying to start the machine with each change. This one is a just a search process and without a spare hard drive, magsafe port, battery, RAM you may be in over your head. I would advise that if the RAM test fails, AC is OK, Magsafe is OK, then take it to a qualified tech.

Works for me. +

Rossinator will be eternally grateful.