Repair guides and support for your LG TV.

Why does everything have a blue tint?

I have had my LG 43UF640V 43” smart TV for 2 years and over time, the picture has become more and more tinted. Everything looks a blueish purple.

This problem occurs all the time, with my sky box, DVD player and Netflix and YouTube apps on the smart tv.

I have tried adjusting all the picture settings. I have turned the picture temperature all the way to warm and even this doesn’t help lessen the blue tint. I’ve tried everything.

What might be causing the blueish purple tint?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks.

I have compared the colours on my smart tv and pc using the website you gave and basically all the colours are off.

Here’s a rundown of the results:

Red - Considerably Darker on tv

Green - Darker less vivid/bright on tv

Blue - Much brighter/vivid on tv

Cyan - More blueish purple less vivid/bright on tv

Magenta - Biggest difference of all. Much more blueish purple on tv

Yellow - Darker, almost mustard colour on tv

Black - Same on tv and PC

Grey - More like a pale purple on tv

White - Slight hint of ice blue on tv

I have the same problem just have over 2 years and everything looks blue it is a lg 43” smart tv

I have the same problem, how to solve?

You are probably seeing a blue tinge because either the red or the green colour is either missing from the colour required or is of the incorrect value so blue is the predominant colour. I'm guessing that the green colour is the problem one as you said that you are seeing a "purplish" hue. Purple is usually made up of mostly blue and red.

The colours in a TV and monitor etc are composed of different intensity values of red, blue and green.(e.g. white is composed of 100% red, 100% green and 100% blue. If you have 100% red, 80% blue and 60% green you will have a different colour. Other different % values for the 3 colours allow you to achieve the thousands of colours necessary for correct colour viewing).

To check if the colours are correct try the following:

Connect your internet connected PC via HDMI to your TV and then go online to this website. When you click on the pure colours (red,blue or green) your TV should show the same as the PC, e.g. click red and the whole screen on the PC should show red as should the TV. Try the green as well and check the result.

Going on your responses it would seem as though may be a problem with the red colour control as you stated Red - Considerably Darker on tv

Unfortunately as I cannot find a service manual online I cannot be of any further help in narrowing down the problem.

I am having the same issue, too, after having the TV for just over 2 years. The only option that the LG customer service representatives said was to have it serviced. I tried all the other suggested remedies. With the price she was giving me, I might as well buy a new TV. Any other last minute tips?

Thank you!

Hi @hello234 ,

Does it happen on all 'input' types, e.g. HDMI, AV, Co-ax etc?

Depending on the input signal source (have you tried that on another TV if possible if the input is from a 'box' of some description and not a TV aerial) the fault could be in either the mainboard or even the TCON board.

Replacing either one of these may be cheaper than buying a new TV.

I'm only guessing this (and labour cost to find the problem would be involved)

Try contacting an authorized LG service agent in your area and ask them for a quote.

If that doesn't appeal consider selling your old TV as 'faulty good for parts - screen good', to recoup some of the cost towards a new TV

People are always on the lookout for TVs without damaged screens (as these really cost as much as a new TV) to insert their TV boards into, due to broken screens. Most advertised usually have good boards and faulty screens, not good screens and a faulty board.

I have the same problem, from minor to now almost unwatchable. Mine is the LG 49UH6090 49" 4k LCD Smart TV. I bought it in 2016 from Walmart. First it developed a slight purple blotch in the upper right corner which I didn't even notice until I went to the menu and noticed the settings gear icon seemed like it wasn't the same color anymore. By then it was 2017 and just a month over a year since purchasing. It had been a while since I had a need to go to settings and so normally I was looking at the Apps at the bottom when I would press home. That being said it is likely the blotch started appearing well before the one year warranty expired. I bought a 2 yr extended warranty but lost my receipt and so was out of luck. Now huge blotches have developed all over. Back then I could find nothing in searching for consumers with similar issues. Now I am wondering how many more have this problem and if it should have been a recall on similar lcd displays. My TV is now almost to the point of throwing in the trash.

I am experiencing the exactly same thing. It started as a small purple blotch in the top right corner and has spread across the screen more and more.

Hoping it's the back light LEDs as the user below has stated. Will be opening the unit as soon as I have a chance to investigate. Already out of warranty and haven't found my receipt so extended warranty company won't do anything.

LG 43UF640V 43” smart TV the picture has become more and more tinted. Everything looks a blueish purple. cause of problem tv back light are defective you have to replace all

helen4963 will be eternally grateful.