Repair guides and support for your LG TV.

Why does everything have a blue tint?

I have had my LG 43UF640V 43” smart TV for 2 years and over time, the picture has become more and more tinted. Everything looks a blueish purple.

This problem occurs all the time, with my sky box, DVD player and Netflix and YouTube apps on the smart tv.

I have tried adjusting all the picture settings. I have turned the picture temperature all the way to warm and even this doesn’t help lessen the blue tint. I’ve tried everything.

What might be causing the blueish purple tint?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks.

I have compared the colours on my smart tv and pc using the website you gave and basically all the colours are off.

Here’s a rundown of the results:

Red - Considerably Darker on tv

Green - Darker less vivid/bright on tv

Blue - Much brighter/vivid on tv

Cyan - More blueish purple less vivid/bright on tv

Magenta - Biggest difference of all. Much more blueish purple on tv

Yellow - Darker, almost mustard colour on tv

Black - Same on tv and PC

Grey - More like a pale purple on tv

White - Slight hint of ice blue on tv

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

You are probably seeing a blue tinge because either the red or the green colour is either missing from the colour required or is of the incorrect value so blue is the predominant colour. I'm guessing that the green colour is the problem one as you said that you are seeing a "purplish" hue. Purple is usually made up of mostly blue and red.

The colours in a TV and monitor etc are composed of different intensity values of red, blue and green.(e.g. white is composed of 100% red, 100% green and 100% blue. If you have 100% red, 80% blue and 60% green you will have a different colour. Other different % values for the 3 colours allow you to achieve the thousands of colours necessary for correct colour viewing).

To check if the colours are correct try the following:

Connect your internet connected PC via HDMI to your TV and then go online to this website. When you click on the pure colours (red,blue or green) your TV should show the same as the PC, e.g. click red and the whole screen on the PC should show red as should the TV. Try the green as well and check the result.

Going on your responses it would seem as though may be a problem with the red colour control as you stated Red - Considerably Darker on tv

Unfortunately as I cannot find a service manual online I cannot be of any further help in narrowing down the problem.

helen4963 will be eternally grateful.