Released November 4, 2017. Model A1865, A1901. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / Silver or Space Gray.

How does the Apple X Leather Folio Sleep/Wake work?

I'm just curios how the iPhone X Leather folio works? Is it a magnet? Is it new tech? I'd love a tear down to see what component Apple is hiding inside to make the sleep wake feature of the Folio work.

Just wanted to add a note. I own both the Folio and a NODUS wallet case.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I fancy myself a tinker'r.

The Folio sleep/wakes the screen consistently and its a feature of the folio I've come to love. The NODUS on the other hand does not.

Meaning if this were something managed by the ambient light sensor, technically speaking the NODUS would work just the same as the Folio. The result is that when I place my phone in my pocket or pull it out while in the NODUS case it wakes.

I can see the is screen on before I even flip open the cover from the side. This never happens inside of the Folio. It stays asleep until I open the case. This in return creates an issue where I either have to turn off raise to wake or I have to sacrifice battery life. Neither of which is a great big deal.

Rather I'm just curios what method Apple is using to recognize the Folio.

In return, maybe I can engineer a way to add the feature to my NODUS. I'd love it if iFixit would tear apart a Folio to see what might be hiding inside or to provide evidence as to how Apple is magically doing this.

I'm beginning to think it's NFC...

Take a look at this: http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/accessorie...

That's it! It's totally magnets after all. Thanks!

Wil, I'm not sure this gets you to your answer!

He is implying there is two magnets in the cover lid and a single one in the back cover.

He is also stating the two magnets on the cover poles are reversed so then the questions I would have here: Which one is for the hall sensor and if the back covers sensor is to enable the cover. It's going to take a bit more digging!

I think the rear hall sensor enable the auto sleep/wake function because it's in the rear so it's always active.

The article says that one front magnet should be for the hall sensor and the other for keep close the case using speaker's magnet. Looking at the pictures and the video the magnet for the hall sensor should be the more internal one.

Now my question is: will a case like this https://www.banggood.com/DUX-DUCIS-Magne... work with hall sensors? It has a magnet in the rear and one on the front to keep close the case.

The day after tomorrow I'll receive my iPhone X and I'll do some tests.

Most Helpful Answer

The Leather folio is not very fancy. It is nothing more than the Apple leather case with a flap attached. Just like the case it snaps over the lip of the display. Wake is just using the light sensor within the phone.

@captainsnowball - If you look at the X-Ray as well as the backside of the display unit there is no obvious hall sensor. It needs to be clear of any ferrous metals, the display's back plate appears to be steel. Even still the X-Ray view doesn't show any blip of a sensor. The cover has the magnet which grabs the steel of the back plate. See for your self:

If Apple is using a hall sensor they've hidden it quite well!

Update 12/1/2017

Here's Apple's Accessory Design Guidelines R4 where it reviews the dimensions of the iPhone X. I couldn't find any notation of a hall sensor or even magnets for either the iPhone 8, 8+ or X. You will find the iPad's have them.

And unless they are trying to reserve that functionality for themselves, which seems unlikely to me, that means that they have snuck in a completely different method for managing sleep/wake with the folio.

Here's my theory. I believe that the folio may contain an NFC transmitter located in the back of the case that lets the iPhone X know that the case has been attached to the phone. Then, when the case is closed, I suspect it is using the ambient light sensor to detect the cover is closed.

I'm going to run some tests this evening and see if I can determine if this is the case. I should be able to attach the case and use something dark to cover the sensor and receive a similar result if this is true.

@wilfromthefutr - The phone does indeed have a NFC interface but I don't see how that would apply here. It's used in ApplePay or metro turnstiles & buses (Japan and soon here in Boston). Are you thinking the IR camera?

Here's a teardown: iPhone X Teardown most likely it is the ambient light sensor, the same component that controls auto brightness and turns off the display when you put the phone up to your ear. So when the cover closes, it becomes dark and that turns off the display. Seems about right.

Ah. Found this in apple support:

"When the folio case is closed is there a magnet or something along the lines of a magnet which keeps the case closed?

Asked by kris I from hull on Sep 14, 2017

Best Answer:

There is a magnet in the cover, but its utility is to wake the phone on opening the cover, not to keep the cover clamped shut. So if you drop the phone in this case, expect the cover to open."

I've seen the tear down of the iPhone X itself. Thanks for the link though. I appreciate the effort.

I would have assumed that the ambient light sensor would have been how Apple is managing to make the cover work as well, however, I've tested that theory both by placing my iPhone X in another wallet case and by manually covering the sensors myself. Neither work like the folio. My guess is the folio is using some type of component to tell the iPhone to sleep and wake the display and it doesn't appear to be magnets nor the ambient light sensor. I was hoping to see a tear down of the folio itself. I believe Apple is hiding something within the case much like a smart cover.

Most Apple devices use magnets to activate sleep/wake. If you have ever tried to put your finger over the camera, you will notice nothing happens. However, the magnets are what actually cause the change.

I also used a magnet to see if I could trigger sleep wake.

Oh.. Their finally using hall magnetic sensors on iPhones now?

Took them long enough. Super late to the game.

You really need something opaque a Black electricians tape covered credit card (your finger is too translucent) for the sensor.

Here’s an interesting find. I used a much higher powered magnet this evening to see if I could trigger anything and even though I was unable to trigger sleep wake I discovered that there is a magnet in the top left quadrant of the screen. When I moved the magnet over that area the magnet was repulsed and flipped over staying tightly in place.

@wilfromthefutr - Do you have the folio case? If you do see where the magnet is located within the cover using your magnet.

Wil Limoges will be eternally grateful.