The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

Grinding noise when disk is inserted

My PS3 started making a grinding noise when a disk is inserted. It reads games just fine, and that's all I use the drive for.

I have replaced the spinning disk which stopped the noise, but it started up again.

I keep all my systems horizontal.

I forgot to say that it doesn't matter if I am playing a game or it's at the system menu, however it seems to happen more at the system menu and a disk is just sitting there.

Any other ideas?

@ngw1031982 could be multiple issue from things like the gears, the disk drive motor as well as the tracking motor/drive. Use this guide PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Drive Replacement to get to the drive. Then you would have to disassemble it and see if you can locate the error. Ultimately it sounds like your drive is failing and may need to be replaced. Try to play your PS3 vertical and see if that changes the grinding noise.

How should I verify if it's either the drive motor and/or tracking motor/drive?

Also, where is the drives model located? I can't seem to find it.

Since it is grinding check the gears for wear as well as the spindle bearings etc. A good visual inspection should reveal more.

At this point, I don't see anything wrong. All the gears have all there teeth, and they look in perfect condition.

As far as I can tell, everything is properly lubricated as well.

At this point, I would say it's most likely the drive motor. I guess I'm in the market for a new drive. Worst case a new PS3, which I will look for a slim as I hate the super slim.

Nethaniel Weil will be eternally grateful.