Why does my iPhone 5 kill batteries?

I have an Iphone 5 that stopped working one day with the battery at ~94% (been working fine for 2+ years). I would get the flashing apple logo when plugged in. Did the reset trick but could never get the phone to operate at all unless plugged in. I replaced the battery with a brand new one (cheap ebay) and it worked fine for about 2 days, then the new battery died the same way. I then bought a genuine apple battery thinking it was a cheap battery issue, but this third battery died the same way (2-3 days later). Last night i tried failed batteries in my wife's IPhone, and her phone would not work with them (flashing apple logo). Drawing the conclusion that my IPhone is killing batteries. I have another genuine battery, but I am scared to install it. Could this be the U2 IC issue? I keep reading that it should only fail if your battery drains and in both cases my battery was nearly fully charged.

BTW, I threw away my generic chargers and charge cable after the first battery failure. I have 3 other IPhone 5s sharing the same remaining chargers and cables. My phone is the only one freaking out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tristar (U2) doesn't really communicate at all with the battery so that's not likely to be the source of your problem. You say the phone worked while plugged in but if you left it unplugged, the battery dies within a few days; is that correct? The problem is likely in the charging circuit, in this case the PMIC, MOSFET, and associated passives. Ideally, this will need to be looked at by a micro-solderer as it requires board-level diagnostic.

I used then phone normally for two days. Doubt the charge ever got below 50%. The day it died, the charge was about 94%. It had been charged to 100% and removed from the charger about 2 hours before it died. Sorry I wasn't clear. Thank you for the input!

You probably should get someone to replace the charging IC for you (Someone that does micro soldering), don't think anything else would be at fault.

Thanks! I'll look to see if I can find someone locally. I appreciate your response.

edcomm1 will be eternally grateful.