Phone wont charge after water damage. How do I recover photos?

My wife dropped her iphone 6s in the ocean last week. We dropped into a bag of rice for 24 hours. It started right back up and charged fine for a bit while we tried to transfer photos of our newborn. The only other symptom was that the back camera wouldnt work.

Then after about 15-30 minutes, the phone stopped charging and the cables wouldnt charge it. We tried multiple cables but no success. We even tried the Apple Store but they couldnt get it to work.

So now we are stuck with an iphone with precious photos but no way to charge it. There's got to be a way to recover the photos in a DIY manner right? Since its a work phone we cannot leave it with anyone else.

Now, this is a work phone so we can easily get a replacement but what we cant replace are those newborn photos that arent backed up in icloud unfortunately.

Unfortunately, the "Rice" trick is mostly a myth. It does nothing but give you a false since that you are doing something to help your phone.

The damage from water is inside your phone, on the logic board and passing current through it will short out components. The good news is if you can open the phone, disconnect the battery, remove the LCD and Logic board and properly clean it as soon as possible. The shorted components can be replaced (In most cases) getting your phone working again.

There are shields covering about 70 - 80% of the components on the logic board that need to be removed, then give the board a proper ultrasonic cleaning with an electrical parts cleaner. Then give it an alcohol bath in IPA of over 95% (I use 99%). Then you can have the board tested to see which parts were damaged and need replaced.

Time is not on your side due to corrosion...you need to get the board out and properly cleaned ASAP.

Even though the phone can sometimes be fixed, there is no guarantee that it will stay fixed as the damage from water and corrosion tends to start a chain reaction for other damage down the road.

There are several places you can send your phone to that will do this service for you for DATA recovery.

Start by searching for a "Micro-Soldering" Iphone repair near you if you can find one. If you can't, there are several here on Ifixit that offer mail in services like myself, but would have to part with your phone for a week or so to have this done.

Do not attempt to charge it, change charging port or battery or apply power to the phone until you have had it properly cleaned as you could inadvertently cause more damage to the Logic board.

I dont agree with the rice trick doesnt work I dropped it in a lake and spilled coffee on it and it was working fine after

If you get water damage to your phone and it works after putting in rice, it would have worked anyway. Water does not always kill your phone... but in most cases, it becomes a cancer... killing it slowly as corrosion takes hold

the only way would be to replace the charging port.. if that does not work, then nothing will.

Sorry.

if you still have power on the phone and its working properly all you can do is to send the pictures to yourself on email / messenger.

there are external battery chargers, so long as you have the funds, and the ability to remove your battery alone.

Replacing the charging port may help if you have a board that is still functional.

oh yeah... that is true.. but if the whole phone is dead its good bye to the pictures unfortunately.

and unfortunately @vitoscaletta is touching on the more common issue. board failures are too common.

My personal suggestion, is get it in to a Cell Phone Repair shop as soon as possible to have them run a corrosion clean out.

So i dropped my phone in pool and picked jt up out real quick and dryed jt real fast but it was fine until few days after it started to stopcharging on me but it was saying 100% but when i took out charge saying 1% and doesnt die just keeps turing of coming back to

1% its reall anoying would anyone no whats up with it

if a battery says 100% and then 1%, it normally points to the logic on the battery side, e.g the battery safety circuit at the end of the battery not doing its job properly. This can be brought on by water damage and water getting into the battery circuit on the battery itself. just changing the battery can solve this if the rest of the phone seems ok.

This is just a suggestion,since the same happened with me, did you try shutting down the phone and the charging it?

My redmi note 3 fell in the pool and now it only charges when the phone is powered off.....doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I'm Bonn Francis Taganas Gerarman,contact me on FB or on TWITTER @BonnGerarman...I spill my phone with water, twice already & lately it only charge 20 minutes and it stop,so I remove the battery immediately and put my phone on some kilos of RICE for about 12 hours, then it CHARGE again NORMALLY...As long as it completely sucked up all moisture & also inside the phone is totally dry means it would operate again normally!HAVE PATIENCE guys!remove the battery immediately,dont try to ON or CHARGE if it's wet or if it's damage already,just still try to put it on kilos of RICE.

hello, so same thing happened to me, the phone was in my bag when it started raining. the charging point area of the phone was wait a bit and cold. i tried to open up the phone immediately but was too hard to open up cause it has an in built battery ( Htc desire 610 ) , i let it go and tried blowing off with my mouth to get the water out( now i know i should have tried harder ) i finally got it to open some hours later when i noticed it was not charging , used my hand dryer first then later kept it in the sun . it was working well for a day then i noticed it was auto rotating on its own, also sometimes i had to switch it off to charge properly. Long story short, after some days the earpiece stopped working but i could play songs aloud directly from the phone i got fed up and decided to reset the phone, which worked for a while and later the worst happened , the phone was charging but the earpiece was not working neither was i able to play any sound from the media aloud but i could hear alarm sounds and my ring tone. and then was switching it off and on to get it to work or reset but the reverse keeps happening . Seriously is there anything i can do on my own to make this work properly ? thanks

Manyu S will be eternally grateful.