Unveiled at the 2000 North American International Auto Show on January 10, 2000, the redesigned 2001 Dodge Caravan and 2001 Chrysler Town & Country were released for sale in August 2000.

ignition key wont turn

turned off ignition and now key wont tun at all.How do I fix it?

i have done a few things sprayed with pb blaster then graphite powder to still see if this will work..........in the meantime bang it with something the key that is tap with hammer it worked for me today 3 out of 3 times the dealer wants 100 bucks just to do a diagnostic on it?

This works for me too! Thanks a lot!!!

There's a small pawl at the end of the lock cylinder that hangs up in the steering wheel lock. Pull off the plastic covers on the steering column and spray it with some kind of solvent. Hangs up because the old grease is cold or to stiff. Worked for me.

Mine did the same thing this morning. After completely melting down, I asked if we could disconnect the battery. Voila! It started and is running again. He said it looks like a loose connection in the battery cable.

I just sprayed wd 40 and tapped the key while in the ignition on an 05 caravan and after the 4th tap of the hammer the key turned perfectly..

In addition to what Andrew said: The key or the lock may have broken or worn to the point of not working. Your dealer can make a factory key if given the VIN number.

Most Helpful Answer

Leave the key in the ignition and tap the end of it with something ( ice scraper works) I use a small hammer I keep in the console, the key will turn.

A locksmith showed me this, works everytime

yes it does work but for how long and thank you for that by the way

This is a great idea in really work thanks wade

Wade . YOU DA MAN. And let us definately not forget to make a shout out to the Awesome locksmith that showed you that. Most are hoping you'll need to call them again , so they won't dare let you in on their secrets

Thanks!!! That was awesome. I had to have my van towed home and all I needed was a little hammer.

Thank you so much!! How long will this work?

Sometimes rotating the steering wheel slightly back and forth while wiggling the key will make it turn. You could also try a different key if you have spares. It is improbable that any corrosion would form inside the ignition key cylinder, but places like NAPA make specific lock lubricants like this with graphite powder suspended in them to help free the pins in stubborn locks.

Banging the key works because it dislodges the lock pawl on the switch. All of you need to pull off the steering column cover and clean the mechanism.

One other possible problem is foreign matter in the keyhole. If none of the other suggestions work, you might want to try blowing it out with compressed air. This is usually only problem for people with small children :-)

Spray some WD40 in it . insert key few times . then take small hammer and tap key several times while wiggling . This will usually get it to turn . Then you need to replace lock cylinder before it does it to you again .

Can somebody post a video of what they did? My key won't come out....

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan, having the same problem: I can not turn the key for ignition. I tried a few things people suggested, but still won't turn. What I noticed is that when I try to insert the key to the end, the key slightly bounces other than the lock it'self. Any insight for the problem?

I have the same vehicle. On New Year's Day, neither of my keys would turn in the ignition switch. Weather was freezing. I didn't know of any tricks to try, so I kept trying to start my van, to not avail. A locksmith came out, claimed the unit was shot, and charged me $223 to replace it and provided new keys. He told me to keep my old keys for the doors. Soon after he left, I requested my old ignition switch. After standing me up and failing to reschedule over an unreasonable period of time, I became firm with him, then he finally delivered it. Now that I tried my old keys in the old unit, they turn just fine. This leads me to believe that my unit simply needed readjusting; not replaced with astraunomical fees attached.

It would not turn no matter what I did but according to advice here I knocked once with wide end of the screwdriver and miraculously it turn,

Pure magic!

tracym602 will be eternally grateful.