Unveiled at the 2000 North American International Auto Show on January 10, 2000, the redesigned 2001 Dodge Caravan and 2001 Chrysler Town & Country were released for sale in August 2000.

ignition key wont turn

turned off ignition and now key wont tun at all.How do I fix it?

i have done a few things sprayed with pb blaster then graphite powder to still see if this will work..........in the meantime bang it with something the key that is tap with hammer it worked for me today 3 out of 3 times the dealer wants 100 bucks just to do a diagnostic on it?

In addition to what Andrew said: The key or the lock may have broken or worn to the point of not working. Your dealer can make a factory key if given the VIN number.

Most Helpful Answer

Leave the key in the ignition and tap the end of it with something ( ice scraper works) I use a small hammer I keep in the console, the key will turn.

A locksmith showed me this, works everytime

yes it does work but for how long and thank you for that by the way

This is a great idea in really work thanks wade

Wade . YOU DA MAN. And let us definately not forget to make a shout out to the Awesome locksmith that showed you that. Most are hoping you'll need to call them again , so they won't dare let you in on their secrets

Thanks!!! That was awesome. I had to have my van towed home and all I needed was a little hammer.

Thank you so much!! How long will this work?

Sometimes rotating the steering wheel slightly back and forth while wiggling the key will make it turn. You could also try a different key if you have spares. It is improbable that any corrosion would form inside the ignition key cylinder, but places like NAPA make specific lock lubricants like this with graphite powder suspended in them to help free the pins in stubborn locks.

One other possible problem is foreign matter in the keyhole. If none of the other suggestions work, you might want to try blowing it out with compressed air. This is usually only problem for people with small children :-)

Wade is the man!!!!! Worked like a charm. Just need to keep a hammer in car now.

how long did that work for did it only work for a while? the dealer wants 100 bucks just to find out what is wrong

It still works as of this date....

It is still working for me too, and this problem started almost two years ago. As a matter of fact I have had to do it almost every day this week.

Our daughter and her 3 year old were just now stranded in sub zero blizzard weather in the streets of Chicago. She could not get the ignition to turn. I found this web site. Called her and told her about tapping the key into the ignition. IT WORKED! Bless you for the answer.

Thanks it works for me

I was having the same problem. I tried for over a half hour and it wouldn't turn. Being from Chicago and it's colder than dickens out I thought maybe it was frozen so I even tried a hair dryer to warm it up to no avail. I came across this page and tried tapping it and voila it started. Thank you for posting the simple solution.

how long did it work for?

My son tried to turn the key it would not I tried it and it would not turn called a local locksmith said they can can come out and check it out and if need be replace if he said this is a warning that it can eventually fail I tried the tap thing it did indeed work

Spray some WD40 in it . insert key few times . then take small hammer and tap key several times while wiggling . This will usually get it to turn . Then you need to replace lock cylinder before it does it to you again .

We try that it didn't work

Can somebody post a video of what they did? My key won't come out....

Wade I owe you and the locksmith a Six pack of cold beers. It worked I hit it with the ice scraper. THANK YOU!!

Wade thank you. It worked for me tonight but I'm wondering how long it will keep working? Also while it works I'd like to get it fixed, any ideas what part needs replacing?

Thanks very much! I was ystranded at a store when I found your reply -- and it worked! Cheers!

☆From Bubba in Central Florida☆

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan, having the same problem: I can not turn the key for ignition. I tried a few things people suggested, but still won't turn. What I noticed is that when I try to insert the key to the end, the key slightly bounces other than the lock it'self. Any insight for the problem?

tracym602 will be eternally grateful.