Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

New iMac 5k 2017 CPU is Upgradable?

Hey! This Summer i bought a new 2017 5K iMac with a i5 7600k.

So... The New Intel CPU 8700K is now available!

I just want know can I replace my i5 7600k to the new i7 8700k?

Is it possible to upgrade?

Thank You So Much

Here's a better vid on upgrading this system: The Best 2017 iMac Apple Doesn't Sell! Quinn only installed a i7-7700k

As far as the still newer Intel i7-8700k Apple hasn't used it yet in any of their systems and the micro code in the EFI won’t allow it.

In any case keep in mind you'll be voiding your warranty here! And pulling off the display without using the correct tools and technique can kill it which would be an expensive Oops!

Most Helpful Answer

You will NOT be able to swap for the 8700 but you WILL be able to swap for the 7700 with no issues what so ever, literally on boot-up the system will immediately recognize the new CPU. The 8700 is a 6 core chip and they don't have any EFI to support that with the current OS. The iMac Pro doesn't even use the new Coffee Lake chip, so it may be doable in the future, but not as of yet. BTW, the latest iMac Pro uses Xeon chips for multi-threading and a kick-ass GPU, so that one will be upgradeable in the future. Hopefully, Apple will come up with some OS updates and the new 8th gen Intel chips will benefit.

Will the 8700 work now in such an iMac with the new High Sierra or Mojave updates?

Jiri, Will the 8700 work in a 2017 imac as of now with the latest High Sierra or better yet, Mojave updates?

Zack - Jiri believes the 8700 will not work and I second that! Again you can't run newer CPUs unless the system has the ability to support it. In this case both the TDP and the systems micro-code won't allow it.

Sorry I'm late to this question. The answer for the time being is that the 8700 cannot be used, mostly due to architecture (6 core vs 4 core) and the lack of instructions on the Mac boards. The 2018 Macs may cover the newer chip, but we won't really know that until September. Just so you know, unless you plan to run extremely intensive programs, the 7700 will do super fine. The TDP is fairly high for the 7700K swap, so I would personally recommend the T series for both better thermals and overall better per watt performance. I prefer the 7700T chip, also the 6700T chip is a winner IMHO.

Also, quick brainstorm to address newer versions of Mac OS - the software won't affect how the hardware operates, they cannot write in EFI code to 'make' the 8th gen chips 'fit.' This is a matter of hardware, although there may be BIOS updates to the mother boards, but keep in mind that Apple isn't encouraging changes to their hardware, so BIOS miracles are doubtful at best. I would agree that the 8th gen chips have better performance and thermals over the 7th gen, but again, I recommend T chips over the regular ones, and also recommend regular chips over the K unlocked version, mostly due to cooling concerns in the cramped and under-cooled Mac enclosure. The T chips are factory undervolted and they have amazing thermals.

I don't know much about Macs, but I do know they much prefer people buy new things instead of upgrading. My guess is no, but it looks the people here might know better:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/17/imac-upgr...

From what I read, it sounds pretty intense. Best of luck, I hope it works

If you don't know much about Macs, I suggest you don't comment.

Thats OK Paul, Chase is only repeating what I posted.

Javid AJ will be eternally grateful.