Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

New iMac 5k 2017 CPU is Upgradable?

Hey! This Summer i bought a new 2017 5K iMac with a i5 7600k.

So... The New Intel CPU 8700K is now available!

I just want know can I replace my i5 7600k to the new i7 8700k?

Is it possible to upgrade?

Thank You So Much

Most Helpful Answer

Here's a better vid on upgrading this system: The Best 2017 iMac Apple Doesn't Sell! Quinn only installed a i7-7700k

As far as the still newer Intel i7-8700k Apple hasn't used it yet in any of their systems and the micro code in the EFI may not allow it.

In any case keep in mind you'll be voiding your warranty here! And pulling off the display without using the correct tools and technique can kill it which would be an expensive Opps!

You will NOT be able to swap for the 8700 but you WILL be able to swap for the 7700 with no issues what so ever, literally on boot-up the system will immediately recognize the new CPU. The 8700 is a 6 core chip and they don't have any EFI to support that with the current OS. The iMac Pro doesn't even use the new Coffee Lake chip, so it may be doable in the future, but not as of yet. BTW, the latest iMac Pro uses Xeon chips for multi-threading and a kick-ass GPU, so that one will be upgradeable in the future. Hopefully, Apple will come up with some OS updates and the new 8th gen Intel chips will benefit.

I don't know much about Macs, but I do know they much prefer people buy new things instead of upgrading. My guess is no, but it looks the people here might know better:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/17/imac-upgr...

From what I read, it sounds pretty intense. Best of luck, I hope it works

Javid AJ will be eternally grateful.