Repair guides and support for top and front loading Whirlpool brand washers.

Why is there water in the bleach and softener compartment

I rarely use my bleach or softener dispenser in my whirlpool cabrio washer but yet they are both filled with water. I have drained them and and cleaning with a bottle brush to make sure they are not clogged. Of course now that I have this problem I need use them... How can i fix this?

Most washing machines dilute down the bleach/softener/soap when adding it to the load. It helps with not causing the bleach to cause burn spots as if poured directly on the cloths.

In a unit we have here in our house, the bleach and softener dispensers have fill lines for liquid that you should not pass. This is because it uses a siphon effect to pull the liquid out. It is effective because there are no moving parts. I hope it is ok to post links on here pointing to another repair page!

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fix-i...

Check this out for some images of what I am talking about and how it works. I didn't want to copy what they already put work into and claim it as my own.

I have a feeling that after the 3rd stage, the water splashes into - or leaks into the bleach/softener dispensers, and fills them up to around the 1st stage level which is below the level needed for the siphon effect to happen.

I would say it is a leaky selector valve/solenoid controlling the flow to those dispensers and probably is continually filling them during the cycles.

If you use them once in a blue moon, I would say to just empty them out, and put your bleach or softener in them. It might not add the bleach or softener at the designated portion of the cycle, but if it is bleach you are using, normally I believe that is the first thing added anyways.

That is what I think is going on.

Good luck!

Most Helpful Answer

The dispenser for the bleach is clogged up. It is a siphon dispenser and if something gets in the tube it will stop siphoning. You can pull the complete tray out of the washer and take it to a sink. There will be round circular siphon towers there and you will need to clean them and under the trays there are also the same towers and clean those. Reassemble and holding the complete tray as level as you can slowly run water into the bleach dispenser cup until it starts siphoning out. If you stop the water it will almost completely empty the tray. Leaving very small amounts of water is normal.

The venturi works by creating a siphon as the water runs past. It it difficult to see a problem but very slight changes or sediment build up can change how it works. As the water runs through the venturi it should draw the bleach out of the container. If water is spraying in instead of siphoning out then the venturi is usually the cause of the problem.

Clorox also wants this to work for you and here is information from them: https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/issues...

Rosie Quinones will be eternally grateful.