Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

How to check if heating element comes on by itself

GSS25SGMBBS

I by passed the heating element and tested that it works . I replaced all temp sensors also. How can I tell if this element is in fact turning on on its own when needed . Is there a way to test the temp control relay in mother board to see if it's working and turning on by itself when needed?

Frig is not defrosting evaporator icing up. I replaced all 3 thermistors , the temp thermostat sensor and heater element. I tested the element by bypassing the switch on circuit board and element heat up. Now I'm just trying to determine if the heating element starts on his own . This model the temp control is built into circuit board . Is there a way to test to make sure built in temp control is working and turning on the heat element when needed. I know it then element suppose to come on a few times a day , but how do I know this is happening .

Please tell us what your symptoms are. I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Cause 1

Defrost Control Board

The defrost control board determines how often to run the defrost cycle. If the board fails, the refrigerator will not go into the defrost cycle. Before replacing the defrost control board, first test the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. If the defrost heater and defrost thermostat are working properly, the defrost control board is likely defective.

Cause 2

Defrost Timer

The defrost timer turns on the defrost heater several times throughout the day to melt any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost timer is defective, it may not advance into the defrost cycle, or it may not send power to the defrost heater during the defrost cycle. To determine if the defrost timer is defective, slowly advance the dial into the defrost cycle. The compressor should turn off and the heater should turn on. If the timer does not send power to the defrost components or advance out of the defrost cycle within 30 minutes, this indicates that the defrost timer is not advancing. If the defrost timer is not advancing, replace it.

Cause 3

Defrost Heater Assembly

The defrost heater assembly turns on several times throughout the day to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly is defective, the defrost system will not work, and frost will continue to accumulate on the evaporator coils. To determine if the defrost heater is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity. If the defrost heater does not have continuity, replace it.

2 minutes ago by carlito121 Edit Delete

carlito121 will be eternally grateful.