Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

How can I get click wheel to respond. iPod 5th gen

I checked this site and found others had a similar problem so I followed the recommended solution. I ordered a new click wheel from ifixit and replaced it. No luck. Still have the same problem. The replacement wheel did not solve the problem. What are next steps?

What problem are you having?

Matt, My iPod comes on when I switch the lock key, the screen lights up, I see Menu, Photos, Videos,...but there is no response when I click any of the buttons on the click wheel. Nothing happens and the screen goes to sleep. Could it be a battery issue? It shows it is fully charged.

randyhondros, try to turn hold on and off and then press the center button and menu at the same time, this will reset it. Can you get to the diagnostics menu by turn off the “hold switch”

1. Press and hold “Menu” and “Select” buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds to reset the iPod.
  2. The Apple logo will appear and you should feel the hard drive spinning up. Press and hold both the “Back” and “Select” buttons at the same time.
  3. The Apple logo should appear backwards. Let go of the “Back” and “Select” buttons. You should now be in diagnostic mode.

If you check this link, http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsu... it tells you about the test you can perform, there is also one for the click wheel.

Of course if your click wheel is not working at all you will not get there. Make sure that all the connections on your logic board are seated snug and that all connections are clean and free of any debris or corrosion. If none of these does not work, I think you may be do for a new logic board. Good Luck and let us know how it is going.

Oldturkey03, I Have tried pressing Menu and Select but nothing happens. Tried it both before and after replacement of the click wheel. Same results no response. I have checked to make sure all connections are seated snugly. Do you think it is worth investing in a new logic board?

Honestly, yes I do. I enjoy the Ipod video and found that by keeping it alive I actually save money. I purchase my logic boards at different places, iFixit has them here http://www.ifixit.com/iPod-Parts/iPod-Vi... and they are frequently on ebay. I find that I could not buy anything like the iPod video for that price. Hope that helps and wishing you and your ipod all the best.

Olturkey03, thanks for the feedback. I have ordered a new logis board. With a new logic board and new click wheel, I would expect this will fix my problem.

I am certain it will, you just let us know when you have it and let us know how it turned out. Hope to have you jamming soon....:)

going the extra mile here turkey.. you are a gentleman!

Hi all my daughter has just returned from a year in OZ and asked me to look at her 5th generation Ipod as it was not working. I am a pretty dab hand at taking things apart and trawling around for answers. Well once you get the hang of opening one opf these babies it is not that difficult connecting and re connecting the parts. The first thing that I noticed was that there was half a pound of sand in the darn thing so no wonder it was not working. I cleaned it all up let it dry out then re-assembled the unit but found the click wheel was dead. The majority of info on the web was about restoring the ipod but if the click wheel will not respond at all then that information is pretty useless so I bought a new click wheel on Ebay and I also bought another faulty 5th generation IPOD that was sold as faulty and did not work. Once it arrived I got to work on the Ebay item took it apart and fitted the new click wheel but it did not function. I cleaned out my daughters Ipod completely fixed the new click wheel into this and again nothing. So what I had now was two faulty ipods and about £25.00 out of pocket that is until I found this method on the web and I had nothing to lose.

This is going to sound pretty wierd I know but I again took apart the two Ipods removing all the connections (I was quite an expert by now) and the part that I wanted to work on was the main board the one with all the bits on that everything connect to. With everything disconnected I did this..

Using cold water and a soft tooth brush I cleaned both sides rubbing gently and I then dried this with a hair dryer but be careful not to be too agressive withn the heat. Now this is even crazier I know but I cleaned it again using Vodka, yes Vodka and a tooth brush. The original poster actually said alcohol but it's the closest I had and thought what the heck. Once both sides had been cleaned with the vodka I let it dry thoroughly re-assembled and hey presto as if by magic it was fully functioning. Well i wondered if this was coincidence, you know I may have dislodged something or re-connected something just by the action of taking it apart and putting it back together so I tried it on my daughter non functioning Ipod and had exactly the same response. So we need to two fully functioining IPODS. My wife thought that I was going a bit mad but afterall I once fixed the tumble dryer for £1.00!

I am not suggesting for one minute that upon reading this that you take your Ipods apart and ply them with alcohol but if you are like me and have a non functioing Ipod that is only fit for a faulty unit on

Ebay and you like the fun & excitement of a challenge then why not.

sean parker, nothing weird about it :-) well the Vodka thing might just be a bit over the top :-) What you did was the right thing. We do have a guide on here that deals with cleaning any kind of electronic device. I do know that in this particular case, it was a tore click wheel cable, but you are right. Sometimes just by disconnecting and reconnecting, we can eliminate improperly seated components. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you have a bad click wheel. I would replace that first and see if it fixes the problem.

I thought it was already changed with a new one from ifixit. I really need to get me some glasses :-)

Old turkey...no need for glasses. I have already chnaged the click wheel and have ordered a new logic board as you recommended.

Old turkey or Anyone...need help! Replaced the Click wheel and now the logic board. I still have the exact same problem. The screen lights up when you slide the hold button to the left, I see Music, Photos, Video, etc. After a few seconds the screen goes into sleep mode (gets darker but I can still see the menu list). No response from the click wheel. Cannot reboot. After a couple of minutes the screen goes completely dark and I have to slide the hold key to the right and then back to the left to get it to light up again. Any thoughts? Anyone?

randyhondros don't give up yet and don't get frustrated :-) I know how it goes trying to look through my notes to see if I have a solution somewhere. Thanks for the very precise description in your comment this will help to narrow it down. we'll gt it working I have a couple 5th gen right in front of me and see if I can create this error and see what can cause this oddity....

Okay so I tried to reproduce the error and the only thing that comes close to what you have is when I use a bad hold switch. It turns on gets to the menu but keeps the click wheel from responding. The back light turns on when I move the hold switch but turns of at the preset interval and thus maintains the menu of the screen but with the light off. I know that you said that the lock shows on your screen but I think the lock symbol and the actual hold function are separate circuits and does not necessarily verify that it is functioning and may just be a red herring in this case.Do you have a hold switch that you can replace to test it out.I am sure that you have it all put together right, but double check that the ground of the click wheel is connected to the frame. I have a few here with older back plates if you need some, let me know.

Can you let me know what you find out? I am having the same issues and would like to know the solution before replacing everything! (Seems as if my click wheel isn't working, tried hard reset as well with no luck.)

Carrie, which parts have you replaced so far? and when you say you have the same problem give a little bit more info.

I replaced the battery and motherboard on my ipod when it came up totally dead. Now I have exactly the same problem as Oldturkey. When I say exactly, I mean each and every word written by Oldturkey describes my situation precisely.

Was there ever an answer to this problem?

Steve Miller, check you logic board closely. Pay particular attention to the click wheel connector, make sure the cable is inserted properly, and that the clip is down. What happened to randyhondros was that the cable had a very small tear in it. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks, I will remove and replace the cable, and see if I can make a difference. I did indeed have trouble with the clip the first time (it crumbled under my finger), but thought the cable was anyway well lodged.

It seems strange that the action of the central (select) button and the other four buttons on the logic board could be disabled by the connection of the click wheel cable, but I guess the internal circuit could work that way.

randyhondros will be eternally grateful.