Phone is dead as a Dodo bird for seemingly no reason

Hi there, I have a problem with an iPhone 5 S and I have no idea what it is that's wrong with it. It was working and had ample charge one moment and then when I went to check on it a moment later the screen was black and wouldn't turn on.

-The battery didn't die because usually when a battery runs out of charge you'll still see the empty battery logo when you press a button.

-It didn't get wet so it's not water damage.

-It hasn't been dropped, thrown or had excessive pressure put on it so it's not shock damage.

-And it hasn't over heated.

I think it's an internal problem (obviously) but I can't work out what cause it to suddenly, and seemingly randomly, die. If anyone has has a similar thing happen or can help me troubleshoot it would be much appreciated and I would be very grateful.

I'm wondering if the battery itself had just gone. I don't think it's a processor problem but I am unsure.

I recommend trying another battery first or at least try holding the home and power button for 10 seconds and try turning it on again.

@benjamen50 my thoughts exactly. I saw something similar happen to an ipad, and that remedied the issue. It may need to be charged as well - the battery may not be dead, but I recal this helping with th ipad. Wouldn't try both at onece though - go one after the other.

FYI: Dodo Bird, one of the strangest birds!

As @benjamen50 suggests, try doing a hard reset first. If that doesn't do anything, then try to connect your phone to an iTunes enabled computer. Does iTunes recognize your device? If it doesn't then you have a serious issue.

If itunes does recognize your device, then shine a bright flashlight on the screen. Do you see a dim image? If so, you have a backlight problem. If you don't see an image, then you probably have an LCD issue. Both of these problems can be caused by either a bad screen or logic board issue. At that point, you will need to try a screen to see if the problem is solved or not.

Going back to my earlier question, if iTunes does not recognize your device, you likely have a logic board issue. There are other troubleshooting steps that can be taken but get back to me (comment on the answer) on the things I proposed above and we'll take it from there.

I did try the backlighting alley before and unfortunately it wasn't that. I've connected it to a mac and it' not recognising the devise. It doesn't see it at all.

Then it's most likely a logic board issue. Your best bet is to find a repair shop that does micro-soldering so that they can troubleshoot this.

Emily will be eternally grateful.