The fourth-generation Surface Pro tablet, released October 26th, 2015.

No power when disconnected from AC Adapter

So the problem I'm having with my surface pro 4 is that it dies when not connected to the AC adapter. Instantly as though it has no battery power. Now I know, most of the time this would be the battery. So here comes the unusual part that has me wondering if it really is or not. Battery Report shows that the battery is there, fully charged and functional. And the battery meter also shows fully charged and plugged in. I've Updated drivers, windows and have even reinstalled windows hoping it was a software problem.

Any other suggestions or can we conclude it is just a faulty battery? Thanks in advance.

But can you turn it on if the wall adapter is disconnected??

Most Helpful Answer

This is 99% the battery. I can't think of anything else that would cause that. I'd suggest taking out the battery and putting it back in, however, before buying a new one.

Here is a guide for replacing the battery:

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Battery Replacement

Here is a link for the battery on ebay ($40).

Sorry, I don't have a solution but some info may help.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's the battery. Every pro 4 that I've come across (over 20 units with this issue) that has had a battery "go bad" by swelling or physical damage was not repaired by a brand new aftermarket (or oem used) battery. I have tried 3 different suppliers (although the packaging is almost identical to one another) and none have repaired any pro 4's with the swollen or physically damaged battery. The pro 4 will usually say "plugged in, charging" or "charged" with an accurate battery percentage. I can adjust my brightness settings but not the power settings.

I had one pro 4 that the battery just went bad internally, swapped it with an aftermarket battery and all was good. (I tried an oem battery just to see if there was a difference but there wasn't - oem worked as well.) In this case, the bad battery would quickly switch from "0% charging" to "100% charged" with the bad battery.

I've done everything on the internet from drivers to rewriting the bios and nothing seems to help which makes me believe it is damaging or shorting something on the motherboard when the battery damage happens.

If anyone with any insight on this could help, I'm sure all of us would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Dolan Drake will be eternally grateful.