Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7

Control high fan speeds on iMac 2010?

I was able to save a mid 2010 iMac from being thrown out at the office today.

Turns out it works perfectly fine, except the fan is way noisier than it should be.

The hard drive has been changed to a Samsung SSD 850 EVO at some point and I'm guessing the high fan speeds has something to do with this.

Is there something I can do to control the fan without tearing the computer apart?

Including screenshots from iStat from when the computer has just been started:

...and when it's been running for 20 minutes:

You guessed correctly. apple used propriety hard drive with propriety heat sensors so you couldn't use an off the shelve drive to replace with. If you did, you got a run away fan..

Here's the solution:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDI...

Thanks guys!

Will start with trying out some software solutions, otherwise I'll go with your recommendation.

Don't use a fan control software program to solve this problem as it doesn't. All your doing is telling the fan to run at a certain speed regardless of the temperature.

I've seen to many systems killed this way :-{ Penny wise - pound foolish

Get the OWC in-line sensor

Hmm... that doesn't sound good...

But I just tried this: http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

It worked instantly. And I run it on S.M.A.R.T, so it should retrieve the right temperature without the cable and adjust it accordingly as far as I understand it? This computer will be used sparingly, and if I can save 50 dollars and a afternoon of tearing it down, I'll go with this. Thanks for the warning though!

You can lead 'um to water but you can't make them drink.

Usually this is caused because the SSD was installed, and the thermal sensor cable was neglected. Unfortunately the Mac gets confused and runs the fans high to compensate. OWC has a kit for the SSD's Link to Part

Try this. There is apparently software alternatives, but I cannot recommend as these kits are all that I have used.

Hope it helps! Good catch on saving the Mac, and happy repairs.

Klas Hjelm will be eternally grateful.