Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

Will mid 2017 iMac 5K get dust in the screen like the previous models?

I know this problem usually takes over 1 year to show up and it's hard to tell at this moment.

So if there's no one can answer this question right now, I'll just leave this question here and if someone have the same concern later, maybe there will be a answer then.

(Maybe I'll answer this question myself then)

This is case shows all 300 imac (2015 version) have dust in their screens.

Technically none of the 'Thin Series' from 2012 onwards have this issue unlike the 2011 and back have a dust issue.

But! Apple has had a few bumps with the display makers with insects caught in the sealed sandwich.

The first versions had a small weep hole so the atmospheric pressure could be equalized which maybe how the little guys got in. The newer models have a more breathable foam which should be better unless the insect bores its way though.

I suspect the newest infestation was the foam tape was not properly sealed so sitting on the shelf the insects made a home only to discover to be on the inside surface of a sealed space.

In any case Apple has been good in replacing displays which have evidence of insect infestation.

Hi Dan!

Thanks for your respond.

But I think the thin series are still have the dust problems.

I'm sure about that for 2 reasons:

1, I've checked some forums and all of them have users complain about that (Including 2014 models to 2016 models )

2, I've checked 2 local mac stores nearby and their display machines are also have dust in the corner of their screens.

I think you are reading about the older iMac's. Really, just not an issue in the newer series. I haven't seen any newer iMac system with a dust issue.

Now with that said I have seen persistence burn issues which can look like dust! My own 2011 27" system has this issue.

I have not seen it with the newer models but it could happen if you set the brightness high and have a background image that never changes.

The chemistry of the liquid crystal material has improved over the years which is why I doubt this is as big a problem as it was in the older 2011 model and older. I should point out any LCD display would face the same problem as a static image is the hardest for any display to handle, CRT's, Plasma, OLED and even micro LED displays will have issues too.

I've updated the question, the pics and video should be available in the question now.

@deepdevil - Chris, I'm sure all of these systems have Persistence Burn! Not Dust! Given the environment as a computer cafe I think you'll find they had a static welcome page image which had burnt into the screen. I can understand why this guy is angry and wanted to call attention to it. I should point out a dust problem wouldn't settle in the corners the weep hole in the first version 2012 screens was smack in the middle on the bottom edge. You would have seen a fanout from there.

Here's some more:

- Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays

- Screen burn-in

- How to fix ghosting problem

I have 2014 5K model, had replaced screen because of dust 3 times during extended warranty. Just like that, so probably it is still an issue. Cheers.

I have a 2017 5k iMac and yes it is beginning to show dust in the bottom corners, just like in the pics, only not quite as large yet. It is not burn in!

Chris will be eternally grateful.