Released January 2015, The XPS 13 laptop aims to be a MacBook Air competitor, with a "virtually borderless infinity display" and touch-screen upgrade option.

Replacing stock thermal compound

My recently bought Dell XPS 9360 with the 4k screen, Intel i5 7200U is idling around 55 degrees celcius. Browsing reddit I see that some people have suggested replacing the stock thermal compound on the heat pipe (source). Has anyone else tried this out to succesful results?

I think @lightnwire is right. Check the fan. It possible there's manufacturers defect with the thermal compound. I mean if you know what your doing and frequently tear up laptops I believe this is what you want

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

Here's a guide. I don't bother with Reddit anymore. But it does look like enough people are having this problem

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=McQLU3cb65...

If it's brand new and you're not really into doing these repairs. Might wanna try using your warranty

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste Image

You should check the fan to see if it is clear of dust and functions, if the fan moves too little air the heat builds up. Replacing the thermal compound may help if the fan is clean an functional.

I should mention that the laptop is brand new.

Jack Cassidy will be eternally grateful.