Model Number A1707. Released June 2017, this MacBook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to the 2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz.

Broken keyboard butterfly clip

I have the macbook pro with the new butterfly 2 keyboard, and trying to clean the "S" key i broke the butterfly hinge. I bought a new piece online but i don´t know if it is possible at all to replace since the plastic dome seems to be glued to the chasis.

What would be the best way to replace it without disassembling the whole laptop?

Can i pop off the dome by brute force and "glue" the new one?

Does apple cover this under warranty?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Here's am key replacement guide for your model:

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/la...

Would you mind giving us your source for the key? They have been hard to locate.

Apple A1707 Keyboard Keys Replacement

These Apple A1707 keyboard key replacements features the new designed keyboard with TouchBar,

these keyboard key replacements has the second generation of the "butterfly" hinge clip, meaning you will get a smooth and precise key stroke, these laptop keys are 100% Apple OEM so you are sure to get perfect fit and finish, and fully compatible with the 13" and 15" models.

Please take a look at the difference between the Butterfly 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen, there are major

changes, and the fitment is different, we are selling 100% OEM 2nd Gen butterfly

keyboard keys with the rubber cup included, while others are selling you the 1st Gen.

the 2nd gen butterfly key cap is taller 2nd gen butterfly hinge clip has longer pegs

2nd gen key cap is slightly taller 2nd gen key cap kit will come with hinge clip.

Go down on this page past the video to see the images:

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/ap...

UPDATE 9/2/17

How about it Jon Ridley

@thebookyard Would you fix this for your customers?

I got it from there but sadly there is no guide for the model I have.

did you find any good guide @lglossman?

this shows how the whole key is fixed. it may help

It's doable. The black area at the top of the cup is just paper-ish, and peels off.

Using my precision screwdriver set, I grabbed the thinnest flat head and started by peeling back the black part. That exposes a small notch at the top of the cup piece, there's also one at the bottom.

You can start by gently prying upwards at those 2 spots. Once I thought I had loosened it enough I started prying from underneath the butterfly and the cup at the corners. Basically just slowly prying and jiggering the plastic nubs out of the board. There's also small layer of adhesive on the cup but mine came off and I wasn't able to reuse it, try to salvage it if you can.

When putting the new one on, the butterfly goes down on the board first. Then the cup fits in the middle through the butterfly and secures to the board through those 4 nubs.

as my photo shows, the numbs of the cup are fixed on the board, so you can't fixt he cup without a drop of a glue, I guess

Any idea what kind of adhesive was used? As einstein mentioned, it doesn't look like the switch will stay put without it (at least on the left shift key that I'm replacing)

This video shows how to replace the butterfly mechanism without removing the rubber cup component:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF9wTVWZ...

Great. That worked like charm. Thank you.

Where did you get the butterfly clip? I need this too PLEASE!!!

So... by accident the rubber dome came off. And it just looks like it is just held in place by some sticky residue. A very thin layer of it. I wouldn't just put glue on the board since you have to apply a thin layer only on the dome and none on the switch and contact points.

having same issue. what kind of glue did you use to put the rubber cup back? thx

Were you able to solve your problem? I ordered the same key, but can't find any good tutorial on how to install the hinge.

have you checked @mayer s answer?

yes I did, but there´s no installation guide for the MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2017, hence my question.

No, I wasn't able to fix it. I just got used to have a broken key. My solution in the future will be to never buy apple products again.

Sadly, Apples new butterfly keys are less repairable than the older 2015 models.

guys, you will need the get the rubber cup (its just glued) off and then you will be able to put the hing in its right way. but to do this you need a special glue. otherwise happens this: https://youtu.be/ryRVWBrG8i0?t=2m32s. btw: your 2017 device should be still under apples warranty. so why dont use it?

Can anyone show me or tell how to remove a butterfly clip mechanism ?

hmm... as I understood it is impossible, is that means should I order completely new keyboard ?

It's not impossible, it's quite simple really. Don't be afraid when you hear something click when you attempt to take out pieces, once you take it out ALL pieces should be cleared out, leaving the space empty, the only thing you really need to worry about is the sticky residue in the empty space, that holds everything together DO NOT wipe off this residue

How exactly should one take out the pieces? Just pulling on them doesn't seem to help? Should you apply more force? Won't it break in that case?

I have the same problem with my 15' MBP w/ touchbar: I need to replace both, the hinge and the cup and can't figure out how to do it. Can anybody help? A video on how to do it would be greatly appreciated (I think also by others). Thanks!

When you glue it back on, make sure to cover all the surface of the cup not just nub parts.

If you only glue the nub part you'll have unreliable key register as well as wobbly key cap.

and mine is already f-ed up so good luck with whoever has the same issue.. :)

also super glue works fine. Just be careful with it.

I’m having the same issue. I’m attempting to reinstall it, but do the nubs fit inside the actual holes inside the key space or do they sit on top?

Kinda both, but more on top. They fit well enough to keep the key aligned but it won't fit deep enough to be secured, even if you try to force it.

When you put it back on (rubber cup and plastic clip) make sure to test it.

Press each side of the clip and see if it reacts same way. (pressing either side should make opposite side go down as well.)

If not, gently remove the cup before the glue dries and try again.

I just replaced the butterfly-mechanism without removing the cup. It seems to be possible by stretching the new mechanism over from one side to the other (just like the video referred to earlier describes). However, the key travel appears to be less than with the original mechanism. I noticed that the original mechanism had 'G018' stated on the upper-left corner, whereas the replacement part has 'G019' on the same spot. I really hope that this worthless mechanism isn't applied in future MBs/MBPs.

Leandro Glossman will be eternally grateful.