Released by Samsung in March 2016. Model SM-G930V.

"Camera Failed" -- Hardware or software?

Have a Galaxy S7 that is displaying "Camera Failed" any time an app that uses the camera is launched. Googling around shows this to be pretty common, and nearly everyone is claiming it's a software issue. However, this phone was dropped immediately before this "Camera Failed" issue came to light. According to the owner the rear camera stopped working immediately after the drop, and the front camera shortly thereafter.

Software fixes that I've discovered while Googling:

• Settings -> Display -> Smart Stay, turn OFF.
  • Settings -> Applications -> Application Manager -> Camera -> Force Stop, then Storage -> Clear Data.
  • Bootloader interface -> Wipe Cache Partition -> Yes.
  • Settings -> Backup and Reset -> Reset Settings -> Reset.

I've tried all of these to no avail. Given that the phone was dropped I'm considering this a hardware issue, but before I open it up I'd like to know if I'm missing something.

If the rear camera stops working then eventually front camera then you have most likely an camera IC chip issue which means a bad camera IC on the logic board.

At this point I would not consider trying to fix it as it will end up probably either being impossible to do without schematics and board view to diagnose the camera circuit.

I'm pretty sure it's not an issue caused by software. You can try replacing the cameras but I highly doubt that would work.

I have the same problem.

That's just my phone did not fall, but just the camera stopped working. The front camera is working.

I replaced the camera module, but this did not solve the problem.

Steve Godun will be eternally grateful.