Floor lamps are lights that sit on the floor. They are not table lamps, which are designed to sit on tables. Floor lamps are usually taller than table lamps.

Threading the new cord through the lamp

I've tried to thread the new cord through the lamp (stand is in 3 pieces that screw together). Taping the end doesn't seem to help as it must go through a very tight piece at the very top of each section. Is there another trick for this?

Unscrew each section of the lamp then run your plug wire through it; screw it back on then go to the next section and repeat the process

Please note that some lamps that are made in sections have very small wireways at both ends of the tube and have large spaces between these holes. It is almost impossible to thread anything larger than a standard 18-2 SPT1 wire through them. If you take then apart (unscrew them) you will have better luck getting the wire through the holes.

It is necessary to fully disassemble the lamp to feed the wire from the bottom of the lamp. Use a wire (thin but stiff) inserted from the top of each section downward and through the bottom hole. Strip a section of both conductors to allow you to attach the copper stranded wire to the stiff guide wire and pull it through. Do this for each section untill you reach the bulb holder. Cut off the stripped section that you used to pull the cord through and then correctly connect the lamp holder. If there is space make sure you use an Underwriters Knot to prevent tension from being applied to the lamp holder connections when you reassemble the lamp or when the cord is pulled from the bottom of the lamp.

Reassemble the lamp from the top down, Please note that you do not want to simply turn each section into the other as this will twist the wire and weaken it. If it takes 6 complete rotations of the section to fully thread into the section above... rotate the section six turns in the opposite direction before screwing it in. This will prevent the cord from being twisted. Pull the cord tight between sections. Continue untill fully assembled.

Replace any busing where the cord goes through the lamp base as the sharp metal can cut the wire over time.

Attach the plug at the end.

Using a continuity tester ... test for continuity and for switch functionality.

Insert the bulb, any safety covers.

Not holding the lamp... Plug it in. Turn it on.

Most Helpful Answer

You need an electricians Fish Tape. The wire ( being stiff) is fed through first and the wire attached. Then you just pull it back out, dragging the new wire. Here's what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/GB-EFT-22P-Cable-2...

if you get some thin wire out of your local diy store and coil the end of the wire round cable then tape around coil then put wire through hole then pull

good luck

I was too cheap to buy Electrician's Fish Tape, so I looked around the house to see if anything was thin, strong & long enough. Lo & behold, the dreaded dry cleaning wire coat hanger was perfect. I straightened it out, used pliers to make a really tight hook & pulled it through in a matter of seconds. Because I am worried that I might have damaged the new cord, I will cut the top of the cord off.

dltiehen will be eternally grateful.