The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Fan and overheating issues

I have had this Mac for a little over a year. Recently I started noticing that it gets abnormally hot, especially around the top of the keyboard/base of the screen. I ended up downloading Macs Fan Control and noticed that the fan turns itself on, goes to over 200rpm, then 500rpm, 1000rpm, and then back to 0. To me it seems the fan can't stay on for some reason. Advice?

What kind of pets do you have?

.... a cat.

Remove the fan and clean the vent radiator that it blows into with canned air. It also helps to blow out the rest of the machine. Look ar the vented back by the junction of the display and main body. Do not leave your Mac open at night as your cat may like the nice heated keyboard to sleep on. They have also been know to relieve themselves on keyboards. Not a good place for kitty to litter.

Get rid of that fan control software, your Mac knows when to to try to cool itself.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Early 2015 Fan Replacement

Hi there,

I have landed on this page as I too am experiencing similar issues, I have opened the mac and checked for dirt and dust and it is spotless, However I have overheating issues, I have Intel Power Gadget installed and on start up the CPU temps on my MBPR 2013 A1502 has a temp of between 65-75 degrees. I have re-applied new thermal compound and I have checked the fan and heatsink blades for gunk, yet to no avail I remain with these issues. Namely the machine cutting off at various times. if I open two processes, Say SAFARI and any other APP, (If the Mac even gets this far before panicking and going off) And noted temps are 80 degrees plus. I have installed Macs fan control in order to compensate for the startup temps and to be honest I am able to use the machine for longer periods using this method, however I do not feel this is a viable long term solution. The idea of having to change the FAN RPM not only decreases my battery level faster but it is like I am babysitting a computer. Please any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mine goes to 101 approx and freezes by just opening few tabs on chrome or safari like youtube, twitter, FB etc and watching FB live video always gets it.

cri will be eternally grateful.