Announced on October 16, 2014, identifiable by the model number A1347 and EMC 2840.

PCIe SSD on Mini Late 2014

Would like to check if a Samsung M.2 PCIe SSD (MZHPV256HDGL) might work on my Mini.

Have been told that with an adapter for the Flex Cable identified as 821-00010-A and all should work perfectly, but it doesn't!

The Mini doesn't even detects the drive! Verified thru the System Information tool, Disk Utility, etc.

Thanks in advance to the community!

Guillermo

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like a great inexpensive deal that just doesn't work reliably if at all.

You'll need to stick with products that are actually built for Mac.

This model uses the same sticks as the MacBook Air late 2013. Here's what's available:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macb...

They do not have this listed for the MacMini 2014 and I don't know why not, lets see if @danj knows.

If you get the one with the external enclosure it makes transferring data and formatting easy, do not clone as you will not get the repair partition properly installed. Do a clean install then migration assistant.

You can now keep the enclosure with the old stick for a Time Machine User folder backup or sell it on eBay for a profit over what you paid for it (people get them for recovery on original sticks and they are in demand.)

Is appears its still coming... Mac mini Late 2014 - Current, Coming Soon!

The older Apple SSD is a PCIe NVMe 2 lane the newest models use a 4 lane version. So while you can use the older x2 in the newer system you won't get the added performance of the newer x4 drive.

To add to Mayer's comments: Apple has a custom SSD which while looking like a M.2 SSD is not the same! You'll need to get the custom Apple SSD.

Hello! I have to say that there was a "layer 8" error (user-error, myself! jeje), as I just wasn't pulling enough the SSD to the adapter: once did, the machine detected successfully the new PCIe drive and now it is running as boot drive, with a time to boot around 13secs.

@mayer and @danj your responses didn't helped me at all, but I thank you for taking time to respond!

Hope this connector, adapter & drive config helps somebody else to boost Mini-2014 model.

Regards,

Guillermo.

I strongly recommend sticking with the custom Apple SSD’s. We did some testing a while ago and we found these adapters are not that good (lots of CRC errors). You also likely are not getting the throughput you are expecting.

Here’s a good source for the correct SSD’s: The Ultimate Guide to Apple’s Proprietary SSDs Or stick with either OWC or Transcend who took the time to reverse engineer the drives.

I'm trying to choose the right SSD for my Mac Mini 2014 late (originally 1TB HDD).

@guille86 are you sure that MZHPV256HDGL suitable for 821-00010-A ?

Because the adapter pins and SSD pins are different. Thanks

Hello @djanym, please read again my message, since I have mentioned another part required to make this config to work. :)

Cannot figure out how to add pictures here, but there is an adapter playing a key role between the flex cable and the flash drive: as far as I know, it is called "NGFF M.2 PCIe SSD Card as 2013 2014 2015 MacBook SSD" -I saw this adapter and this flash drive being detected successfully on a MBP of those those years; NGFF stands for Next Gen Form Factor.

Hope this helps!

Regards.-

Thanks Guille it works beautifully. I had the same trouble as you with the NVME 960 pro not being recognised so had to put quite a bit of pressure on it to make contact. Was worried it would break. LoL

Saved a heap doing it this way.

Regards

Hello! I'm still using mentioned configuration for almost a year, without issues of any kind -let me insist on the boost for the boot-up time & time to initiate apps continues to be awesome- ; hope my experience continues to help somebody else.

Regards,

Guille!

Hi Guille!

In your first post you said that the Mini was not able to detect the drive, how did you solve that? I am about to do the same trick. OWC now sells the whole kit with SSD but that costs too much. Also, where did you get the flex cable from?

Thanks a lot!

Leonardo

Here's the needed SSD cable which supports the Apple SSD: SSD Flex Cable, Apple P/N 076-00018 & Here's the IFIXIT guide: Mac mini Late 2014 PCIe SSD Cable Replacement Do take the time to review the 'Ultimate Guide to Apple SSD's' guide I posted above so you get the correct SSD for your system.

Guille will be eternally grateful.