Repair guides and support for 27" Intel iMacs by Apple.

Bypass firmware lock on Mid 2011 iMac

I was wondering if simply replacing the HDD will bypass the lock? I tried the ram trick with no luck. I have 3 machines that all have this issue and need to find a way to bypass the lock. Thanks!

Update: I swapped HDD's, and had no luck, still has firmware lock.

Would you post a photo of what kind of lock it is as there are different ones.

They boot and ask for the name and password, but when i try to change the ram to different sizes and reset the PRAM it goes to the standard firmware lock screen. [image|1162418][image|1162419]

Keep the original HDDs with their respective computers! From what I understand, if you mount the drive externally on another computer, there is a file somewhere that contains the password. I don't recall exactly where it is, but I saw it somewhere online before.

Taylor here's how how to get those images to post: Adding images to an existing answer

What are you doing with three stolen machines? These are iCloud locked. Hard drives don't matter on these, sounds like your EFI firmware is locked. The RAM trick worked with machines prior to about 2009, it no longer does.

I work for the university, we process all the machines that departments no long use snd then sell them to the public. These came to us locked from our library. We try to bypass things without their involvement because contacting them (and actually getting a response) may take weeks. But thats what we've resorted to in this case, at this point. Hopefully their IT guy can come and unlock them for us!

Taylor Struna will be eternally grateful.