A1708/EMC 3164 — Released June 2017, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar).

Detach SSD in MacBook Pro 2017 13" without the touch bar?

Is it possible to detach the SSD in MacBook Pro 2017 13" (Kaby Lake) without the touch bar ?

Pictures or videos proving it would be appreciated.

I know it is possible for MacBook Pro 2016 13" without the touch bar.

@kalbason - My answer here: Can the SSD be replaced? is about the function key model (without the touch bar) models. The 2017 model is the same as the 2016 model.

Simply put: Yes the SSD is removable, BUT! It is a custom drive and Apple is the only source!

@danj, thanks for your answer!

Yes, I know that Apple is the only source for this SSD, but in future it still gives a possibility for user to easily replace the broken SSD with the new one, even if it is "used" from ebay.

Your answer in the mentioned topic ("I suspect they are still using it in the 2017 series") is just a suggestion... Yes, I suspect it is the same too, but it wold be great to prove that it is.

Unfortunately, IFIXIT still has no teardown for 2017 Kaby Lake model with function keys.

I've found the video:

So, it is removable :)

@kalbason - You questioned what I said ;-} I wouldn't mislead you if I wasn't sure!

Yes, it is, with the right tools - I actually broke mine down and took the 128 GB SSD out of my 2017 non-touch bar macbook pro several weeks ago. I've been tirelessly searching for a mount/adapter to read the old hard drive (water damage to the logic board got my old one), and thus far I have found nothing.

kalb ason will be eternally grateful.