A1708/EMC 3164 — Released June 2017, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar).

Can the SSD be replaced?

can replace with other ssd

Sadly Apple now uses a very different removable SSD from the older retina models. Here's an image of the older model custom SSD:

Here is the late 2016 function key model's custom SSD and I suspect they are still using it in the 2017 series:

Here's the IFIXIT teardown where you can see the full story: MacBook Pro 13" Function Keys Late 2016 Teardown

At least this model has a removable SSD! The Touch Bar models use soldered SSD chips directly on the logic board and are not upgradable!

Now the rub... It took close to three years before a 3rd party (OWC) was able to make a compatible SSD for the older retina models. So while its replaceable it may not be upgradable by a 3rd party ($$$).

The reason OWC took 3 years to make upgrades might have been due to a lack in demand for upgrades

Here's some good news BeetsTech has managed to get the custom drives! Here's the 1 TB version

You can buy SSD’s for this model (A1708) on EBay. I just upgraded my 128 to 256. Used my time machine backup to reinstall OSX Mojave.

One weird thing… Machine wouldn’t boot without the screws on the bottom cover in…. Otherwise no Issues. Didn’t have to remove anything but the bottom cover to get it out.

Ranjith Krishnan will be eternally grateful.