A1708/EMC 3164 — Released June 2017, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar).

Can the SSD be replaced?

can replace with other ssd

Sadly Apple now uses a very different removable SSD from the older retina models. Here's an image of the older model custom SSD:

Here is the late 2016 function key model's custom SSD and I suspect they are still using it in the 2017 series:

Here's the IFIXIT teardown where you can see the full story: MacBook Pro 13" Function Keys Late 2016 Teardown

At least this model has a removable SSD! The Touch Bar models use soldered SSD chips directly on the logic board and are not upgradable!

Now the rub... It took close to three years before a 3rd party (OWC) was able to make a compatible SSD for the older retina models. So while its replaceable it may not be upgradable by a 3rd party ($$$).

The reason OWC took 3 years to make upgrades might have been due to a lack in demand for upgrades

Here's some good news BeetsTech has managed to get the custom drives! Here's the 1 TB version

You can buy SSD’s for this model (A1708) on EBay. I just upgraded my 128 to 256. Used my time machine backup to reinstall OSX Mojave.

One weird thing… Machine wouldn’t boot without the screws on the bottom cover in…. Otherwise no Issues. Didn’t have to remove anything but the bottom cover to get it out.

Can you give a little bit details what you did this? ? Appreciate your help!!

I took the bottom off my laptop last night to check if it had the removable ssd and it did. I removed the ssd to see the part number and put it back in. Now my laptop wont boot up at all. Tried everything. Pram reset etc. I'm just wondering about your screw comment? Any suggestions?

2017 MBP, same model as yours. Getting a bit panicked now..

I tried to upgrade my A1708 from 128 to 256 with a A1708 256 SSD I bought off of ebay. After booting in recovery mode, the disk utility wouldn’t find the drive. I reseated the drive but it still isn’t found. I reinstalled the old drive and it works. Is the new 256 drive bad?

Sounds like it, return it and get you money back.

The SSD was bad (as confirmed by the seller). The seller sent a replacement drive and it worked. Thanks for your help.

Ranjith Krishnan will be eternally grateful.