Released on July 21, 2011. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Thunderbolt. This unit is also used to run the Mac mini Server configuration.

Mac keeps restarting for no clear reason.

My Mini is a stock mini 2.5 Core i5, 16GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 6630M, and has recently begun to restart randomly. Usually this occurs when left idle for ten to twenty minutes. Using it the entire time seems to prevent this issue from occurring. I reformatted and freshly installed Sierra and the issue persists. The RAM was added about six months ago, but the restarts are a good deal more recent that that.

When the computer restarts, it doesn't indicate a kernel panic.

No idea what to do, thank you for the help.

I might add that it will also fail to boot when I attempt to cold boot. It gets stuck in a loop and the only way to make it boot at all is to go into recover mode, run first aid on the drive, then restart. It will run until I leave it idle for anything more than maybe ten minutes.

This usually indicates a failing power supply. Over time the frequency of restarts will increase and you will not get a kernel panic with it.

This was not the issue. I have replaced the power supply and there has been no clear change in the behavior of the device. Any other ideas?

Per a conversation with @mayer I pulled the hard drive and booted to a fresh copy of sierra. It didn't take long for the issue to happen again even without the hard drive. This was after virus scanning. I assume that leaves only the logic board to replace?

@lcryan Thanks for the call and trying what I suggested. This is not any easy one. How about a history of the machine, Source of the replacement power supply. Any other upgrade or part replacements. I need something to go on here.

@mayer the ram is Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 1600 MT/S SODIMM Memory for Mac (CT2K8G3S160BM) that I added and I bought the power supply from eBay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE...

It was used, which I suppose might be the issue, it being bad, but I don't know. It's a tough one, sir.

What was happening with the original power supply? Do you have the original RAM? Were you having the issue before you upgrades the RAM? How long have you had this unit?

Unfortunately, replacing power supply did not help. The shutdowns kept getting more and more frequent. Since there is no new Mac Mini's from apple, I am experimenting with a hackintosh, based on an Intel NUC.

Did anyone ever come up with a solution for this? My 2012 Mini has the same problem. It was my media server, so now I've replaced it with a Windows 10 PC. The mini is now in my workshop. A faulty power supply does seem like a plausible culprit for the random rebooting. I am toying with the idea of removing the existing power supply and powering it with an external 12 VDC power supply. Any thoughts? Am I wasting my time?

Sorry, but I think Jon Price nailed it in a previous comment. Apple engineered an expiration date into the mid-2011 Mac Mini, triggered by their latest 'free' OS upgrades. There have been far too many people chasing the same issue, trying the same solutions, ending up with the same result.

Apple hardware over five years old (cpu's or phones) cannot be trusted.

After 25+ years of being an Apple fanboy, I'm over them. Now a committed Windoze user (hate the software, but the hardware is solid).

Mine does this too. Just shuts down likes it a scheduled power saving thing or something. If I’m using the computer it’s fine. If it’s left alone, it tries to shut down after 20 minutes. Was hoping to use this as a media server but it’s useless. Very frustrating as I’ve adjusted every setting I know to address.

Ryan will be eternally grateful.