Released on July 21, 2011. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Thunderbolt. This unit is also used to run the Mac Mini Server configuration.

Mac keeps restarting for no clear reason.

My Mini is a stock mini 2.5 Core i5, 16GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 6630M, and has recently begun to restart randomly. Usually this occurs when left idle for ten to twenty minutes. Using it the entire time seems to prevent this issue from occurring. I reformatted and freshly installed Sierra and the issue persists. The RAM was added about six months ago, but the restarts are a good deal more recent that that.

When the computer restarts, it doesn't indicate a kernel panic.

No idea what to do, thank you for the help.

I might add that it will also fail to boot when I attempt to cold boot. It gets stuck in a loop and the only way to make it boot at all is to go into recover mode, run first aid on the drive, then restart. It will run until I leave it idle for anything more than maybe ten minutes.

This usually indicates a failing power supply. Over time the frequency of restarts will increase and you will not get a kernel panic with it.

This was not the issue. I have replaced the power supply and there has been no clear change in the behavior of the device. Any other ideas?

Per a conversation with @mayer I pulled the hard drive and booted to a fresh copy of sierra. It didn't take long for the issue to happen again even without the hard drive. This was after virus scanning. I assume that leaves only the logic board to replace?

@lcryan Thanks for the call and trying what I suggested. This is not any easy one. How about a history of the machine, Source of the replacement power supply. Any other upgrade or part replacements. I need something to go on here.

@mayer the ram is Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 1600 MT/S SODIMM Memory for Mac (CT2K8G3S160BM) that I added and I bought the power supply from eBay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE...

It was used, which I suppose might be the issue, it being bad, but I don't know. It's a tough one, sir.

What was happening with the original power supply? Do you have the original RAM? Were you having the issue before you upgrades the RAM? How long have you had this unit?

Ryan will be eternally grateful.