Parts & Tools

The Bose SoundLink III, released February 2014, is the 3rd generation of Bose's SoundLink Mobile speakers. It is a modern, minimalist Bluetooth-capable portable speaker.

power indicator blinking red

I bought my SL iii last month, and yesterday when I use it, it can not be charged and power on.

When I connect the power cable, the power indicator blinking red always, and device can not be turn on.

What's the problem? Who can help me to solve it?

Once the red lite blinks-[a] new battery [b] 1/3 months red lite not battery its a board issue [c] send it 2 bose bout $100. Round trip—[d] i can do it same price [e] bose has me because battery cost me $40.+capacitors—sometimes it’s 4 me to send a replacement bookbundler@gmail.com

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Most Helpful Answer

This is a bug with the firmware where the battery seems to get locked in low power mode if it runs down too far. I had this problem and tried every suggestion found online with no success. After much back and forth with BOSE support, the following finally worked:

1. Plug your speaker into a computer using the USB cable.

2. Go to btu.bose.com in a browser window. Download the software if you don’t have it and launch it.

3. The webpage should change to show it has launched. If it says there are updates available then choose to install them. This should fix it.

4. If it says the software is already up to date, then press the following keys in order: A,D,V,Up arrow, Down arrow. That should now give you the option to downgrade the software. Choose a downgrade and then Apply Changes.

That is what brought mine back to life. You can upgrade the software again after that.

Tkx wolf guy ...also [a]read the instructions [b] if you bought it on line might have been of f long time --meaning takes 10/15 min. to get it to pair-also when first paring get away from other Bluetooth devices

@Guy Wolf Thank you so much. Downgrading the firmware using your instructions was the only way that worked for me. Top man!

There is no software for bose soundlink III. is there any way to fix this fu***** red and fast blinking battery problem with bose soundlink III?

@Guy Wolf - i downgraded and the green light came on for about 10 seconds. Then started flashing red again. Then i upgraded and it did the same thing (but went red before finished upgrading). i've tried it a few times with the same results. Any other ideas? Thanks! Paul

bose soundlink III specifically:

just for the record, there is not solution for this for the bose soundlink III.

There is no firmware avaiable for bose soundlink III online.

If connecting the power supply does not chrage the speaker and the light keeps flashing, you will have to send it in for service. They will change the battery. This is free under guarantee.

I know this because I have the bose soundlink III, had the same problem, went through all the advice online, and then had to send it in.

btw i was a little disappointed by bose service - they first asked me to download the firmware for bose soundlink III. I had to reply that this model has no download on their page, and they replied something in the way of "oh yeah, sorry, send it in then."

Try this first, if it fails, return it, it is covered under warranty.

1. Make sure your speaker is plugged into a working AC socket.

2. Check the connections between your speaker and the power adaptor.

3. Make sure you are using the power adaptor supplied with your speaker upon purchase.

4. If you are using a surge protector, check to see if it is working properly.

5. If you still cant get your speaker to turn on you may have a faulty power adaptor.

6. If your speaker is not charged or used within a 14 day period it with enter protection mode. Connect the speaker to the AC power adaptor to fix this issue.

7. Make sure the battery has sufficient charge to power on the speaker.

Blinking Red indicates charge is needed. If the battery is drained it will continue to blink red while charging until there is enough charge. I would let it charge completely before trying to use it this time until the battery light turns green indicating battery is fully charged. If needed, you can do a SoundLink speaker reset, following these steps:

- On the speaker, press and hold MUTE for 10 seconds; the LED will flash briefly

-Press Power to turn the SoundLink back on

If either of these answers do not help, you may need to exchange it. Good Luck and please let us know... John

Mute is the speaker symbol with the line thru it

I had this problem to red light blinking ,I downgraded and its working ! But before you start you have to download current update on your pc

If the updater says that your device is up-to-date and you still have a problem, you can try to set it back to a former software version and do the upgrade again.

When it says there is no update available, you need to type the following keys: [a], [d], [v], [up arrow], [down arrow].

After that, you should be able to select a former software version and start the upgrade.

Hi guys

after updating my Bose speaker it still came up with red flashing light? After reading the solution I then put in ADV up arrow down arrow and it sorted the problem out, at first it was confusing and I’m a technophobe I didn’t know where to type in the letters so I just did it (anywhere couldn’t see them ) and it worked it’s now charging with the amber light! Thank you guys really helpful

best regards

lee (uk)

What can I do now to my battery

July 2018--well boys & girls got off the telie w/bose did all the walkarounds--NO--send it in $75. Us +tax/free shipping/depending on you s/n could be under warranty--you so welcome 1boseguy@gmail.com

Bose discontinued this speaker this year. That why it doesn’t work any more. They make you pay $80. If you want them to make it work. It’s a HUGE SCAM. I WILL NEVER BUY BOSE AGAIN.

Bose made the speaker not working on purpose and the make you pay eighty dollars to make it work again. Buy a different brand. ITS A HUGE SCAM BY BOSE!!!!!

Bought new return it -ebay/amazon hold their feet to the fire

May 2020 - Any solution with downgrade upgrade works for me. Maybe i have to change my battery. Hate Bose, sounds great. But is expansive and we cannot alow this kind of issues anymore.

Had same problem - flashing red light. Tried reset (twice) no good. Removed battery (following ifixit guide) in preparation for replacing battery, but on a whim, reinstalled battery a little while later. Plugged in charger, and noted battery light now glowing (charging). All seems to be working again.

My Bose SL 11 isn’t charging. Tried all option suggested. When I connected to my computer for an update it said it was up to date. Then tried ADV etc and their was an update but said couldn’t update because battery was low!!

Same problem with my SL II.... any solutions?

michael will be eternally grateful.