The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

installing Sierra on a MacPro 2009

If anyone is still watching this thread, I was able to get the firmware update to run on my early 2009 Quad Core machine.

However sierra seems to have hung on install at point of "installing on MacPro HD". It's been at 33 minutes for quite some time and in looking at the log there have been a number of errors reported.

Not 100% sure if I should let it keep running, or click restart and see what happens. If I stop at this point will I be stuck without being able to boot?

Thanks for responding. Sierra did eventually finish installing. right after I posted I did search and found some others who had a hang at the with the same minutes remaining and they said it eventually went and sure enough it finished and seems to be working fine. So thanks for you directions, especially the part about turning off SIP. That did the trick for me.

Do have another question: I have a late 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon mac pro, If I had the faster memory chips, will this system get the same boost that many have talked about with the 6 core? or is that only with the 6 core machines.

jeffrey Please, if you have another question about a different issue ask a

new question.

jeffery, I changed this to an individual question as my answer would have gotten lost in my original post on this. EFI and Firmware update from 4,1 to 5,1 for Sierra Upgrade Solved

note to iFixit Staff

@scotth we do need this machine listed and I will do a guide for it

https://meta.ifixit.com/Answers/View/943...

Please look under "about this Mac" > system report > hardware and see if the firmware update took and the machine sees itself as a 5,1

I'll see if I can help you get this working. I'm at 10.12.5 now on mine.

jeffreystern will be eternally grateful.