No service - hardware issue

So the other day my iphone 6s has been displaying "No service", and therefore I can not make phone calls, text messages, and access the internet. I have tried all the known basic fixes, such as,

- Time and date issues.

- Switching the phone on and off.

- Removing the sim card.

- Putting the phone in and out of airplane.

- restoring the phone.

- I have even taken the the phone to an apple store, for a software restore.

- Network coverage, and the network coverage is fine.

Another thing that I tried was to swap sim cards over with my girlfriend. Her sim card did not work on my phone, but my sim card worked on her phone. Therefore I have concluded that this must be a hardware issue.

When I dial *#06# I get my IMEI no. displayed on screen, and it also shows up in the settings. Any ideas as to what the problem might be or where the problems might lie, and can it be fixed?

Cheers,

Matt

Your troubleshooting has been very good and you have eliminated quite a few things.

Has your phone been dropped, repaired or even opened out of curiosity just shortly before you had problems? Did it come in contact with water or high humidity?

My thinking is that one of the internal antenna connections may have come loose. The fact that your phone sees the IMEI generally rules out a baseband IC issue. If you're comfortable, you could open up your device and look for anything out of place such as disconnected connectors, red water indicators etc. However, tread carefully, disconnect the battery first (especially on the 6S) and don't force anything.

Hi Minho,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

In answer to your question, the phone has not been in contact with water, high humidity, or been opened. Due to the slippery nature of the phone, I have dropped the phone on occasion. Externally, the phone looks in perfect condition, and so there doesn't seem to be anything visual on the outside.

If I were to open the phone for a closer inspection, would you be able to provide me with more guidance on where I can locate the internal antenna connections? Also, you have mentioned red water indicators, what are those?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

You should comment on the answer rather than create a new answer. That way it keeps things in sync (over time, many more answers and comments may come) and it sends me a notification. I just caught this by chance.

I would look at this guide (iPhone 6s Upper Left Antenna Replacement) and this part (iPhone 6s Cellular Antenna), this guide (iPhone 6s Wi-Fi Diversity Antenna Replacement) and this guide (iPhone 6s Lightning Connector Assembly Replacement)

Hi Minho,

Thanks for your help. I shall be having a go at this when I have some spare time.

Cheers,

Matt

Try this: Hold down the power and home buttons to turn of the phone, and keep them depressed until the phone restarts itself. Continue holding these buttons down until the phone then turns itself back off. Wait a few seconds, then depress them again until it starts up, then let go of the buttons. I've heard this has worked for some people.

I have also read about the "drop technique" where people put the phone in a case then drop it from about 6 or more inches onto a hard surface with the screen facing towards the ceiling. I wouldn't personally do this until I've tried everything else but many people have backed this technique.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your response. I have tried the first part that you have mentioned with no such luck. Before trying the "drop technique" I think I will have a little gander inside first.

Cheers,

Matt

I did some research and found a forum and one guy said "I found that a little soft pad that looked like it has melted from its place. It supposed to stick to the antenna cable exactly below the ear speaker, and the lcd unit pushes this cable down, probably making electrical contact somewhere. After closing the phone it kept searching for a network for a day. But after a reset the carrier was back! This also seemed to be a common problem. So be sure to reset the phone!" I'm not sure on the effectiveness, but I thought I'd share.

Best regards,

Justin

Cheers Justin. I will look out for this when opening the phone. Appreciate it.

Matt

Matthew will be eternally grateful.