Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

Dispaly not coming on

The base unit powers on I an can hear the hard drive going. The log on screen comes up, but there is hardly any brightness on the screen. You have to strain to see it. Ideas? Thanks

Try starting up from your system installation disk by inserting the disk and holding down the "C" key. This could be a number of problems, from a dead battery, bad hard drive, to a bad LCD. Let us know anything else you can to help diagnose the problem

Mayer, thanks for your input. I revised my question, prior to your answer coming through. The screen is not completely blank. I can see the log in screen, but very, dark. I have to turn down the lights in the room to see it.

That the invert. I'll see if I can find help on replacing it later but must go for now. what speed machine do u have?

Mayer. Thanks again. I guess, you were saying the Inverter? That would be great and yes if you can let me know how to replace that would be great, when you can. This is my son's unit, that was given to him. Not sure of the speed. I just have the model # being M6498.

Steve Ferrill will be eternally grateful.