The Xbox One Wireless Controller 1697 was released in 2016 and replaced the 1537 controller. This version of the controller adds a 3.5mm headphone jack, which means the 3.5mm headset adapter is no longer required to use a 3rd party headset.

Is it possible to unpair the new controllers?

I recently worked on two controllers for someone. In this deal, I got to keep the newer controller that had an issue with a bad RB button (which has been temporarily fixed) in exchange for repairing the one this person killed by bricking the firmware (Model 1537).

There's a hardware flaw on the 1537 boards that allow me to "unpair" it. You can read more about how I do it on the 1537 here: Is it possible to unpair these controllers?. This didn't work, so I tried a similar, but different way of doing it:

• Plug it into a PC over USB (this is to get it to try to connect over Wireless)
  • Unplug the cable (this makes it try wireless)
  • Pair it away from the console, ensuring it can't get a signal

The idea behind this is the controller would either erase it and not draw new pairing or it would be invalidated by corrupting it.

The controller is not behaving how I know it to behave when I use either approach to dealing with the pairing, so I think the flaw I used was fixed with the revised controller. It doesn't erase it or behave as if it's going to happen.

Is there a hardware flaw in this board to allow for the same thing, or am I stuck with the pairing on this controller unless I get the PC adapter to remove it from the console it came from?

What do you mean? When you try paring to the next console it should reset to the next console. Also, plugging it into a PC will make it a wired connection, and when it is unplugged it will attempt to pair.

I need to make it forget the console it came from. I don't own a Xbone so I can't get rid of it by pairing it to a personally owned one.

I need to erase it or look at the PC adapter. I'm not buying a Xbone to make these controllers forget the original console it came from. I have reworded my unpair procedure to clear this up.

@nick you've got it right. If you plug you Xbox remote into the PC, it will forget the old console. Doesn't matter how far away your console is. Just plug it in, make sure it's connected unplug and your done. Hope this helps!

I copied the procedure for the old one minus the parts I desoldered last time (I've learned it really doesn't matter) and while it didn't blink like the old ones I'm hoping it forgets it was used with a console and I know it won't try and register with it.

Much like last time I have console access so I can verify that the console pairing is cleared.

It seems like it goes like this on the new controller (1697):

* Plug it into a PC

* Press the Sync button (like the old one, this is to make sure. It may not be required, but it's probably good to do to make sure.)

* Pairing should be forgotten.

I don't get why you want to remove the old pair data. It will forget it next time it pairs to another console.

I don't want it to connect to the old console it came from if I ever have batteries in it I forget to remove (somewhat unlikely, since I don't want them to sit unused and leak). I do not own the Xbox One Wireless Adapter to re-pair it to something else.

I have to use USB with the controller because mine is IR only, and even if I had the 1708 with Bluetooth, the implementation is proprietary and ONLY works in Windows 10. I have to use IR or USB.

Nick will be eternally grateful.