The Dremel 4000 is a variable speed rotary device. It is compatible with with all Dremel rotary accessories.

Dremel 4000 quit working

Hi my Dremel 4000 which really didn't have much use on it just quit working. After researching it several you tube video's suggested the one of the winding wires on the coil broke at the crimp spot so it seemed like a simple repair. Upon close inspection I couldn't see a broken wire and did a continuity test on the windings and they seem to be okay. I have a new switch assembly coming so hopefully that will do the trick. I guess my questions would be am I on the right track? Does anyone have experience with Dremel problems? My last older model Dremel just up and quit after again really not much usage but I didn't bother to research it so maybe the broken coil wire trick might have fixed it. Thank you.

I have the Dremel 4000 and I literally used it for an hour took a break then tried to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. This is the second time this has happened. I've had warranty on them so I just return them but I'd like to know what is going on and why this is happening.

Your Dremel is not designed to be operated for extended periods like that. It's hard to believe that you haven't at least intuited that by now.

Dremels are crap. Unfortunately I haven’t found something better yet. These tools seem to get more cheaply made every new model. There should not be so many people complaining about all these problems. It’s ridiculous.

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

bkm , It is possible that it is the switch assy. if all else looks good. Info. from ifixit trouble shooting Dremel 4000 1st link below. If the tool will not power on, and the switch lever and power cord have been checked for integrity, then the electronic assembly must be replaced. While there are multiple parts within the electronic assembly, the entire assembly is delivered as one piece and must be replaced in its entirety. Below find a disassembly guide, 2nd link below, for your dremel which will get you inside the device to check/test/verify if wires/switch/components on the board are loose/burnt/damaged. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Dremel 4000 Troubleshooting

Dremel 4000 Electrical Assembly Replacement

Thanx,, I ordered new assembly. I hope that does it. Thanx for the help! Bill

bkm, Glad to help, thanks for replying back. good luck with your Dremel.

bkm sure sounds like you are on the right track. Only thing I would have done different is to check the switch assembly for simple on-off function to see if that is going to be the issue. You so want to make sure that your brushes are okay and check the resistor which goes to the motor from one of the brush assemblies. One weak spot of these is the plastic switch that is activating the microswitch on the switch assembly. Make sure that it is properly activating.

Thank you. The brushes are practically new and I did a continuity test on the brush assembly that has the resistor. It seemed my Fluke tester made a slower beep beep sound than a normal continuity beep when I did check the resistor part. I assumed that it was ok. I'm a basic volt meter user so I didn't know how to test circuit board or speed switch. I reassembled Dremel leaving out on off slider plastic piece so I could reach in and manually press micro switch but it did not turn on. I found a new electrical assembly online for 28 dollars so I'm gonna hope that does the trick. Seems a shame my second Dremel has failed after such low usage like my first one. Thanx for replying.

My Dremel was either intermittent or died when under any load. An air blow out/clean made no difference. Brushes were basically new. I disassembled the unit and noticed a tiny piece of metal fell out. This turned out to be part of one of four slide contacts between the circuit board/switch assembly and the external main coil assembly. These 2 main parts connect together via 4 pins and 4 sliders. Two had broken so the contacts were loose at best but mostly non-existent. I was able to give it a McGyver fix with thin slithers of metal that help to maintain the contact. How did this happen? I do not know. My Dremel is out of warranty but has not had that much use. Well ,fixed and useful for now.

Hope that description helps someone else fix their Dremel.

bkm will be eternally grateful.