The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

Loud banging during spin cycle

During the spin cycle there is a loud banging noise. I noticed that the stainless steel inner drum is loose. When I spin the drum by hand, it feels like there is something between the two drums.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Cause 1

Tub Bearing

The tub bearing is mounted in the middle of the outer tub. The tub bearing helps to keep the inner tub spinning smoothly. Replacing the tub bearing is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. If the tub bearing is defective, we recommend replacing both the outer tub and bearing as an assembly if the manufacturer offers the components together.

Cause 2

Tub Seal and Bearing Kit

The tub bearing is mounted in the middle of the outer tub. The tub bearing helps to keep the inner tub spinning smoothly. If the washer is noisy during the spin cycle or is leaking from the bottom of the tub near the transmission, the tub seal and bearing are likely defective. Replacing the tub bearing is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. If the tub bearing is defective, we recommend replacing the outer tub and bearing at the same time.

Cause 3

Rear Drum with Bearing

The rear drum has a bearing or bearings in it to keep the inner tub spinning smoothly. If the tub bearing system is defective the washer can become very noisy. On some machines bearings are sold separately from the rear drum, however we recommend replacing both the outer drum and bearing as an assembly if the manufacturer offers the components together because removing and pressing in the new bearing can be exceptionally difficult. Be aware that replacing the outer tub and bearing is also not easy and can be very costly.

Well Phil, my washer had the same problem, what worked for me was to just push up or over on the barrel. Then do your wash, after that load is done push up or over on the barrel again. Repeat this process every time you do your wash for at least 2 weeks. If that doesn't solve the problem, stop the washer will it is spinning, push up on it, or over on it. If none of these work, I am sorry I couldn't help you.

Phil will be eternally grateful.