iPod Nano 6th Generation

Model No. A1366 / 8 or 16 GB capacity

Stuck on ok to disconnect

My ipod nano 6th gen was full of songs that i didnt like. it was given to me as a gift but was used. i tried to restore it but everything was gone. i cant put music in it now and its just stuck on 'ok to disconnect' and when i connect it it says dont disconnect. it wont change. what should i do?

Does iTunes still detect your iPod since it goes to the OK to disconnect screen?

by oldturkey03

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button simultaneously for at least eight seconds or until the Apple logo appears. You may need to repeat this step.

If the above step did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep. Try resetting the iPod while it is connected to power.

omg omg omg omg thank you sooooooooooo much i was about a second from throwing my ipod mini out

by ikewilliam

You are absolutely Awesome! Thanks so much.

by Lin

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! Omg, I was out running so have no idea what button I was pressing other than I was trying to turn the volume up!!!!! Thank you for this advise, my nano has gone back to the normal screen again now, phew!!!!! :) :) :) Janet, Sept 2012

by Janet

Hey my man you a STAR. GOING A VACATION TOMORROW. THANKS AGAIN.

by Pierre

Hi Guys, how if the volume up and down didn't working, how i can reset the ipod..i've try on itunes..but it's still displaying OK To Disconnect..

by Husnie Habibie

I had this very issue and spent six hours on the phone with Apple and they couldn't fix it ...but here is what I discovered and it worked to clear up the issue. First, see if the iPod works on a different computer without automatically going to "OK to Disconnect". If it doesn't, it may have issues. If it does, you need to perform a "Restore" (not a reset) on your 6th Gen Nano. This will wipe out any tunes on the iPod, but you said you don't like the ones on it anyway. Once the Restore is complete, first and foremost, tell it NOT to automatically sync to iTunes on the registration screen that pops up immediately after the restore by unchecking the related box. Then, be sure to Rename the iPod. That's the fix that worked for me, so hope you have the same results. For instructions on how to perform a Restore, go to www.apple.com/support and type in "Restore Nano 6th gen" in the Support page Search box in the upper right corner of the screen. That will bring up instructions on how to do the Restore. Good Luck!

Please change your name unless you are customer service for iFixit, otherwise it is deceptive

by mayer

Try holding down the sleep/wake button and the volume down button till the logo appears. Immediately when you see the logo tap (or hold the sleep/wake button my itself) and see if that works...seems to work for me. Good luck

samueltorrez - You Rock dude!! I was on the verge of giving up and calling it dead till I saw your little note

My unit worked as it should when connected to computer but was screen stuck on "ok to disconnect" or "do not disconnect" or diagnostic mode. I happened to have another iPod Nano 6th I was working on so I took out the battery/logic board and moved it to the unit with the good flex cable; and it worked flawlessly. Likely, the switches went bad with some water exposure; or there was moisture stuck in there; I replaced cable since I broke the cable trying to expose it. So if reset and restore doesn't work, test the on/off volume, headphone cable. I wrestled with restore/reset for too many hours and searched internet for hours for solution with no luck, then solved it.

Rob will be eternally grateful.