MacBook Pro chimes but does not start up
My son was using his MacBook Pro 15 early 2011 when the machine shut off on its own. He thought the battery may have died so he attached his charger. The laptop chimes but does not start up.
1. Disconnected battery - attached charger and the sleep light comes on and optical drive spins then the machine shuts off.
When you hit the power button after this the sleep light comes on, blinks 6 times, optical drive spins, chimes and then powers off.
If you let the machine sit it continues to go through this cycle.
2. Pulled each RAM card out one at a time, same results.
3. Disconnected Optical Drive and same results except no optical drive spin.
4. Swapped hard drives. Same results.
5. Disconnected the HD cable from logic board - attached charger and no sleep light. Wait about a minute and it chimes but does not power on and it does not continue the cycle of chiming and not powering on.
I just had the GPU replaced on the board because it failed. Wondering if replacement GPU has not also failed.
Is this a good question?