The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. The first generation model includes the machines from 2006 through 2008.

Tweaking with Anglebird SSD in MacPro 2009-12

Does anyone have any actual experience with using an Anglebird SSD drive?

It does have TRIM support which the other mainstream drives do not appear to have.

I am currently using an 512GB X400 Sandisk SSD as my boot drive on a 2x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Xeon. Flashed to 5,1 running 10.12.3. Recently added a 4 port USB3 PCI card.

@danj, @reecee

Next I'm looking at just how much of a CPU upgrade to go to (and what I can afford, a bit pricey at $1,785) 12-Core 3.46GHz Apple Mac Pro CPU Tray Upgrade Westmere 2009 2010 4,1 5,1 128GB

Does anyone have experience with the processor upgrades beyond what Apple has put out?

Most Helpful Answer

@mayer as of OS X 10.10.4, the new command 'trimforce' was introduced that enabled TRIM on any SSD installed in Macs.

Simply open a terminal and type 'sudo trimforce enable' and enter your password.

Thanks @avanteguarde, IU'll give that a try. Thanks for teaching the old dog a new trick ;-)

PS, It's time to expand your profile so we can get to know you better. looks like you may be a keeper ;-)

I also use the trimforce with the newest OS-X & MacOS this works for any SSD.

Anglebird SSD for a time was the only way to get native Apple TRIM services. Not sure I fully understand how they got away with it. As far as I know they are just emulating the Apple SSD ID string the firmware looking for during POST.

@mayer for the cpu's dud you check youtube? theres many tourtials on how to do things like that and im pretty sure you can replace only the cpu for a few hundred instead of 1700

mayer will be eternally grateful.