Repair guides and support for cars, trucks, and SUVs manufactured by GMC.

engine starts but wont run on

why does the engine start but wont stay running

An engine will start but not run when the fuel runs out . If the fuel pressure is not strong enough the car will stall out .

the tank is full of fuel. how can i check the fuel filter? where is it

i should claify that the truck, as I said, will start but WON'T run. would that seem to make a difference to you as far as getting it to a parts house?

sailer342, You do not state the year of your truck, GM trucks with electric fuel pump for the most part, filter attaches and lines run along the inner frame rail of trucks. The attached link is a video which may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8pAviQ...

sailer342 , Stalling issues bad sensors TPS, MAP, MAF, IAC, O2, failing knock senor, faulty injectors, dirty throttle body, EGR valve, vacuum leak, failing fuel pump, etc.etc..To avoid throwing guesses and parts at your truck, have the truck scanned for trouble codes as a first step. Some of the auto parts suppliers offer free code reading like Pepboys, Nappa, Advanced auto parts,etc and some of the guys are very knowledgeable and may have seen the issue often and put you on the right track. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

sailer342 will be eternally grateful.