Repair and disassembly guides for hundreds of optical disc drives.

Why is my CD Burner no longer burning?

My CD Burner (only used a couple of times) as above stopped working a couple of weeks before my years warranty ran out. contacted apple who replaced it with a new one.

Brought it home tried it once to check all was well. It worked.

11 months later went to use it, it had the same problem as before with the warning of "the disc can't be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media".

Very annoying any ideas please?

Thank you.

Alison.

Thanks for your reply, I tried the lens cleaning disk around 10 times to no avail, Cheers Alison.

Also have tried buying different brands and type of media. No smokers in the house although we do have a wood burning stove.

That signifies!

to burn a CD the burner needs to calibrate a lot of parameters to burn the media successful. The parameters differ from brand to brand and even from type of media to type of media. A lot of calibration data from many different brands and types of media are included in the firmware of the burner. Some brands and types of media are not included. This leads to the message you got, if the burner doesn't know how to handle this media correct.

At first i would buy some discs from a brand that is definitely supported by the burner and try to burn with these discs. Information about the brands and types of media supported should be available from Matshita.

Another reason why you get this message is, what David already mentioned, that the lens is dirty. So it could be possible that smoke from the wood burning stove made the lens dirty. If the drive cleaning disc works, i would use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens by myself. But be warned, if you are not careful enough, you can damage the burner seriously.

Any smokers in the house?

The lenses could be dirty, from airborne contaminants, smoke, dust, etc... Try a optical drive cleaning disc - you can get them almost anywhere.

example from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Allsop-23321-Carbo...

You could also try different brand and type media

Hi there,

CLEANING THE LENSE has worked fine for me and my MBP15". I followed the IFIXIT OpticalDriveReplacementInstructions] and then continued with THIS LINK.

Almost bought an external drive....

GOOD LUCK!

I had this exact same problem. When it happened, I was always plugged into a power strip or external power outlet. You need to make sure you are plugged into a wall outlet. I've been burning ever since and never had a problem.

Alison will be eternally grateful.